Font Draw Time/Performance

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Font Draw Time/Performance

Hi

I've been profiling various emWin parts of some projects, trying to work out what core function is taking what time. I appear to have a bit of a bottleneck with text and I'm wondering if anyone, including Segger, has any comments on the time taken to draw a character?

I am finding that it is generally taking around 0.2ms/character on a 168MHz STM32F4 (GUICC_M565 -> GUIDRV_LIN_16). Of course, it varies with font,text mode, etc but it is always centreing around 0.2ms/char. I have checked with all my non-GUI tasks disabled and with a single hWin (in addition to HWIN_BKWIN). It is only marginally affected by my config of WM_SetCreateFlags(WM_CF_MEMDEV), WM_MULTIBUF_Enable(1), GUI_EnableAlpha(1). It is only marginally affected by BkColor being solid or transparent, and only marginally affected by the text mode (NORMAL or TRANS).

0.2ms/char is around 80k ops per character. Given the font is around 150px area this is 500 ops per char pixel. Given I am using GUI_TM_HASTRANS and the font-painter will be skipping the vast majority of pixels when painting then it may be 10kops per painted pixel. This seems rather a lot.

My wonders are:
      1. is if the middleware included with Keil MDK is, in some way, throttled/de-optimized?
      2. are others getting better draw times? If so, I'll go have a further prod at my code.
      3. is this just what it is?

Thanks
      Mark

Code:
      My WMX is a wrapper for each hWin object. It catches the main WM _cb and paints the background including background image (if enabled). I use it as my base window class which I inherit down from, adding settings, events handlers, etc. If I do not paint the text in this example the timing for my background tasks is around 10ms. De-commenting the FILLRECT adds about 10ms to the paint() time. My _cb handler includes a trap every 20 paints to I can see paint times. Window refresh is set at 500ms.

C Source Code

1. static void _paint(WMX* this) {
      2. GUI_RECT rect = WMX_GetRect(this);
      3. uint8_t rpt;
      4. if (!this) return;
      5. GUI_SetFont(&GUI_Font20B_1);
      6. GUI_SetColor(GUI_WHITE);
      7. GUI_SetBkColor(GUI_BLUE);
      8. GUI_SetTextMode(GUI_TM_TRANS);
      9. rpt = 50;
      10. while(rpt--){
      11. GUI_DispStringAt("hello", 400, 240);