[SOLVED] Stack Usage Difficulty

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Stack Usage Difficulty

I'm unable to get the Stack Usage window to display anything. I am using Embedded Studio for ARM V4.10a (64 bit) and have a project that compiles cleanly using the Clang compiler and assembler and the SEGGER linker. Unfortunately, all the Stack Usage window every displays is "No Symbols". This is also true with the default "Hello" project. I have tried uninstalling then reinstalling SES to restore all settings to defaults, but still no joy. Am I missing a step?

Russ
  • Hello Russ,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.
    We just tried to reproduce the issue with the default Hello World project for a Kinets K66 emPower board that I had lying around.
    The stack window is shown in the attached picture and is populated as expected.

Which target device are you using exactly?
    Is it on custom hardware or an eval board?
    Could you provide an example project for reproduction purposes.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Images
    • Capture.PNG

8.06 kB, 317×511, viewed 383 times
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Today, I tried the following steps:

1. Removed all user data (Tools/Admin/Remove All User Data)
    2. Used Windows Control Panel to uninstall SES
    3. Restarted the PC
    4. Installed SES for ARM 4.10a (64-bit)
    5. Launched SES - "Hello" project opened automatically with default window layout and settings
    6. Built "Hello" project - Successful build
    7. Run "Hello" project on simulator - Expected output received in Debug Terminal window
    8. Stopped debugger
    9. Opened Stack Usage window - Window is empty except for "No symbols" tag in the center

Note in the above sequence that I did not change ANY settings.

I am running Windows 10 Enterprise on a Dell Optiplex 7050 with an Intel Core i7-6700 CPU with 16 GB of RAM.
    This is a corporate PC, so there are security-related programs and settings that I have no control over.
    I am currently running SES unlicensed. (Purchase of a license is in progress and expected to be received very soon.)

Ultimately, my target is Cortex-M7 in a custom ASIC.

Russ
  • After much experimentation and frustration, I have determined that the Stack Usage window does not work properly if EITHER of the following is true:

- Compiler used is clang
    - Linker used is SEGGER

Russ
  • Hello Russ,

Thank you for providing reproduction steps.
    With them the issue was reproducible but only if SEGGER Linker was used.
    It did not matter for us if gcc or clang was used as compiler.
    We are currently working on a fix which should be available with the next ES update.
    For now we suggest using the gcc linker if you need stack usage in your projects right now.

To stay up to date with ES releases we recommend subscribing to our update notification mailinglist:
    segger.com/notification/subscribe.php?prodid=196

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.