[SOLVED] J-Link mini - will not connect/unreliable connection with longer USB cable

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Link mini - will not connect/unreliable connection with longer USB cable

I have been trying to use a j-link mini with a longer USB cable then the 4" cable that ships with the device. I have tried multiple (including brand new) 6' and 3' USB cables and have found that a lot of the time j-link software is unable to connect to the mini (when no board is attached to header), and when a board is attached (I tried multiple development boards from different vendors) it never is able to connect. Using the supplied 4" cable it connects and debugs the development boards fine every time. To isolate any ground loop/switching power supply noise issues I tried as well from a laptop that was running on battery power. Is there something I can do to get the mini to work with longer cables?
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.

dlip wrote:

Is there something I can do to get the mini to work with longer cables?
    Unfortunately there is no easy tip that will make any cables work as the cable quality even from the same cable vendor and same batch can have severe quality fluctuations in their signal quality.
    So we suggest to stick with the cable that is shipped with our devices as they are tested each before delivery. Any third party cables are not guaranteed to work.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.