[SOLVED] How to structure a group of programs for development in parallel

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] How to structure a group of programs for development in parallel

Hi,

I'm moving from Eclipse to SES which on the face of it seems smoother and cleaner. My problem is figuring out how to setup my projects. Can I do what I want with SES?

I have group of applications that have a lot of similarities, and thus share a lot of code . They run on different nRF52-series modules with different peripheral devices. They are all contained in a single directory tree under git control.
    I want to set up SES so that I can develop applications in tight lock-step. So I'd like all the applications to be somehow visible in the explorer, so I can compare chunks from different apps, and compile the whole lot in one go for example. So the conceptual structure I think I want is as follows:
    ---------------
    my-group // a bunch of stuff I can open in one go with SES
    application#1
    config+code for hardware variant #1
    config+code for hardware variant #2
    config+code for hardware variant #n
    application#1
    config+code for hardware variant #1
    my-group-source-library#1
    my-group-source-library#2
    nRF_SDK - shared by other groups/solutions
    -----------------
    I see that NordicSemi have simplified SES examples by putting an ses project file in each example directory under the appropriate hardware sub-dir. So for example, I have to dig down to blinky_pca10040 before I can open the corresponding ses project. But then I don't get to see the other parts of my group/solution. Maybe an extra user guide is required.
    I see a suggestion that I should simply add my project to the list of projects in the nrf_sdk examples directory which seems like a messy solution, especially when I want to upgrade to the latest sdk.

Please would some experienced guru throw me a line. Even a pointer to a similar project structure that I could use as a model could be a life-saver.

Thanks
    //Mik
  • Hello Mik,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such a setup is generally possible.
    You can have multiple solutions in one .emProject file with sub projects within each solution and even sub solutions.
    To add one solution to another either go to Project->Add Existing Project and select the other emProject file you want to include in the current solution or right click your current solution in the Project Explorer and also select Add Existing Project to add it as a sub solution.
    In this case Project = emProject/Solution. We will see if we can separate the terms solution and project better in the GUI.

To enable git VCS in Embedded Studio you can use this guide: wiki.segger.com/Embedded_Studio_VCS_configuration

mikster wrote:

I see that NordicSemi have simplified SES examples by putting an ses project file in each example directory under the appropriate hardware sub-dir.
    This approach has been chosen by Nordic so users have a quick and simple "it simply works" experience with SEGGER software as you just need to launch the project and press F5 for a specific example. They could of course put all projects in one solution, however this complicates the user experience for newcomers, but it can make sense for project management in a professional environment.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.