[SOLVED] J-Link Edu fails setting Cortex A8 advanced options

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Link Edu fails setting Cortex A8 advanced options

I'm using the J-Link with Ubuntu 18.04LTS and with the latest Firmware 10.10. Debugging the BeagleBone Black with Code Composer Studio works fine except one thing: when I set some of the ARM Advanced Features like "Break on reset" or "break on undefined exception" I always get an error message

CortxA8: Trouble Reading Register REG_VECTOR_CATCH: No mapped register was found for 1610612743

What am I doing wrong here?

TI's CCS-forum has threads with some similar problems pointing to this forum here to ask for help.
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.
    Could you provide us with a J-Link log file of the failing session? wiki.segger.com/Enable_J-Link_log_file
    Could you try debugging your application using Ozone instead of CSS to eliminate CSS as a possible causer of the issue?
    segger.com/products/development-tools/ozone-j-link-debugger/

Simply create a Ozone project using the project wizard and load the CSS output file.

Do the mentioned features work in Ozone?

Best regards,

Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • I have not yet used Ozone. Where can I configure the SoC in this debugger to halt at current code position in case of an exception instead of jumping into a predefined exception handler? And does it work with the binaries and debug symbols generated with TI's ARM-compiler?

This is what I tried to set within the advanced options in CCS where I failed...
  • To sum up your answers:

- with the J-Link Ubuntu package I could find none of the applications mentioned in the Wiki, so I have no idea where/how to enable logfile generarion

- Ozone seems to be unusable with the BeagleBone Black due to the missing hardware layout and initialisation (which comes in a GEl-file when using CCS or is done by the MLO bootloader when having a freely running application)

So: how to continue?
  • Hello,

Elmi wrote:

with the J-Link Ubuntu package I could find none of the applications mentioned in the Wiki, so I have no idea where/how to enable logfile generarion
    The J-Link Commander is JLinkExe on Linux.

Elmi wrote:

Ozone seems to be unusable with the BeagleBone Black due to the missing hardware layout and initialisation
    Why do you think that? Attached is a simple example project created with Embedded Studio and opened in Ozone.
    Both work on a BeagleBone Black board without any issues.
    Could you verify this with your setup? Simply load up the .jdebug file in Ozone and you should be good to go.

Elmi wrote:

I have not yet used Ozone. Where can I configure the SoC in this debugger to halt at current code position in case of an exception instead of jumping into a predefined exception handler? And does it work with the binaries and debug symbols generated with TI's ARM-compiler?
    This is unfortunately not supported on Arm cores. If you are looking to reconstruct the instructions prior to a exception Arm instruction tracing would be the only clean way to go: segger.com/products/debug-probes/j-trace/

Alternatively you could try a bx lr and jump back from your exception, but this would only work if debug and application information is still available when entering the exception.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Files
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.