[SOLVED] Segger Embedded Studio IDE difficulties

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Segger Embedded Studio IDE difficulties

Hi,

I'm new to SES and I've been putting together a list of things that I think should be improved in the IDE. This isn't intended to be negative, just some feedback from an experienced developer on the things that immediately jump out as missing or different from the other IDEs I've used.

1) It says "Built OK" in the build status area, but there were actually errors
    2) There doesn't appear to be a concise list of build errors and warnings, it's just mixed in with the rest of the text about the build process that I have to dig through.
    3) The build errors aren't clickable. Every other IDE lets you click on the build error message and it takes you to the place in the code where the error happened. The "Next location" and "Previous location" buttons take me to each error in turn, but that's really clunky as it forces me to go through the errors in the order it chooses rather than giving me a list of all the errors and letting me zero in on the one I want to fix first (unless I want to just manually open the file and scroll to the specified line number, which is frustrating). If I manually scroll through the file I can see little error and warning markers, but in order to see the what the error is I have to hover in just the right place and then wait for a tooltip containing the error message to pop up. This one issue has made my last two days porting code from one processor to another quite a grind.
    4) You can't have more than one solution open at once in the IDE. I'm currently using SES to develop two different products with different code bases for different customers. If I want to switch back and forth between my two projects I have to completely close one and then open the other. This gets tedious as I switch back and forth often.
    5) The Project Explorer area contains columns for how much code space and data space each file is using, which is cool, but I can't get rid of them. I want to shrink that column down to just the bare minimum needed to see the file names in the project to maximize my code editing area, but my view of the filename is blocked by those two columns. Once you've sized the overall window area you can drag the width of the Project Items column out to get it to look the way I want, but as soon as you resize the area again or if you close and reopen SES, those CODE and DATA columns are back and blocking my view.
    6) There is no 'refactor' tool allowing me to rename functions or global variables across multiple files in one step. This is a fairly new feature in other IDEs, but it's rapidly become pretty standard.
    7) The Find and Replace search isn't searching in header files, even when I click on the Dependencies checkbox. I don't have the headers explicitly included in the project Explorer list (I've since tried adding them - and it STILL doesn't search them). I think it only knows about dependencies once a file has compiled successfully, but I'm needing to be able to find things in these header files as a part of fixing compile errors.
    8_) The compiler seems to stop in some cases after it hits its first error for a given file. So I think I have a short list of errors to fix, but what I really have is a long sequence of build, fix the error, build again, fix the error etc.

Thanks

The post was edited 1 time, last by Glen M ().

• Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.
    Points 1-3 are not known to us. Could you provide us with an example project where this issues appear?
    Usually a failed build does not show OK and build errors are always clickable if the error handled can link it to source.
    Point 4: Here either two different instances of Embedded Studio can be run in parallel or both projects can be added to one solution so you can switch between them as you see fit.
    The remaining point will be discussed internally and Embedded Studio will be improved where possible.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello,

quick update on the remaining points.

5: Can be enabled or disabled. In the "Project Explorer" window in the top right corner click on the arrow and deselect "Statistics Column"
    6: Currently only Navigate -> Find References -> Replace All
    7: We can only know dependencies when the project has been indexed, which it needs to compile for. When Headers are included in the project, they are searched.
    8: That is standard behavior of a compiler. It cannot continue on most errors.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.