[SOLVED] Setting up Embedded Studio for ST processor

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Setting up Embedded Studio for ST processor

I just did a fresh install of SEGGER Embedded Studio for ARM, Release 3.52 Build 2018091305.37077, Windows x64.

I wanted to target the STM32F411CE, so I installed packages for: CMSIS 5 CMSIS-CORE, CMSIS 5 CMSIS-DSP and then STM32F4xx CPU Support Package. The installation of STM32F4xx CPU Support Package installed CMSIS-CORE which is down revision from CMSIS 5.

Some questions:
    1) How do I setup to use CMSIS 5?
    2) It seems the CMSIS 5 is down rev. from what ARM has on GitHub. What is the best way to install the latest CMSIS version?
    3) I've noticed that ES has pre-built versions of CMSIS. I'm guessing that if we do #2, that we'll have to tell ES how to build CMSIS.
    4) I use STM32CUBEMX to setup projects. I then import the Keil version into ES. When STM32CUBEMX creates the directories and files for the project, it includes a version of CMSIS! Any idea how this resolves against the pre-built versions included in ES?

5) If you go to the CMSIS 5 package page (studio.segger.com/packages/ind…ackages/CMSIS-CORE_V5.htm), in the documentation section, it says: "To use the CMSIS-CORE library in your own projects, install the CMSIS 5 package and set the Libraries > CMSIS 5 CMSIS-CORE Library project property to YES. I can't find this setting. Help.

Sorry if the questions are confusing. I've bee trying to wrap my head around this but haven't succeeded and could really use your help.

Thank you!
    Harjit
  • Hello Harjit,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    1: Project->Options->Code->Libraries->CMSIS 5 CMSIS-CORE Library->Yes
    2: Over the package manager once the update is available for Embedded Studio. It is planned to be updated in the next 1-2 weeks.
    3: Currently not possible externally. New packages will be made available through the package manager.
    4: Keil links most of their CMSIS files from within the Keil install directories which will not be imported over automatically when importing the Keil project due to pathing issues with Keil.
    Alternatively we recommend creating a AC6 STM Workbench project in CubeMX and use the "Import from Eclipse" feature. Due to the more standardized paths in the STM Workbench all files hould be copied over here.
    5: See 1.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thank you!

On #1, I was using the Project Menu item. So, if In the Project Explorer, I have "Solution" selected, then I don't get the Libraries option. If I have Project selected, then I do.

If I just right click on the Project in the Project Items and select Options..., I get the Libraries item.

Understood on the other points.
  • Hello,

Zeetah wrote:

On #1, I was using the Project Menu item. So, if In the Project Explorer, I have "Solution" selected, then I don't get the Libraries option. If I have Project selected, then I do.
    This is intentional as usually also external libraries are added on project level. So for now the option will not be added to solution level.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.