[SOLVED] Programming connection to a PLC?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Programming connection to a PLC?

Hello!

I hope I'm in the correct part of this forum, because I have not the slightes idea ... which is part of the problem :P
    I'm "normally" a PLC programmer. And for a customer I have to download (I hope that is the correct term) programs into two different microcontrollers - PIC32MX170F256D, PIC32MX150F128D (probably important) - and a Flashchip(?) - IS25LQ040B.
    The program itself is provided by the customer, so I don't have to worry about that. But... how to do that with a PLC?

For the Flash I found this Flasher ATE (segger.com/products/production…g-programmer-flasher-ate/). Here - as far as I understand - I could put the program into the board and with the digital inputs/outputs I could start the download into the Flash.

But even if that is the thing I need I still have to deal with the microcontrollers, where I have no idea how to do that.
    Someone mentioned the J-Link Pro, because I have an ethernet connection and I/the PLC can send TCP-messages. But what to send? Some kind of command, that can start a download?

Also I'm not 100% sure, but it could be, that it is not the same program all the time and I have to switch. Then, not even the digital connection to the Flasher ATE is enough. What to do...

So basically "in short":
    PLC -> ? -> microcontroller
    What is the ? I need?

Maybe someone can give me a tipp in the right direction or what things/manuals I should look at?! Would be great!
    Or is this something "bigger" I should discuss with the segger sales department?

Thanks in advance for anything helpful!

greetings
  • Hello,

for programming triggered by a PLC, we recommend using a Flasher. The Flasher has digital inputs as well as RS232 and Ethernet (simple terminal command interface).
    The J-Link cannot be used directly via TCP. A PC running Windows or Linux and our software library are required.

For now, the Flashers do not have support for PIC32 and SPI-Flash in stand-alone mode. However, both are supported via PC utilities and support for Flashers can be
    added upon request.

So, you have 2 options:
    1) PLC -> PC -> J-Link -> MCU (this should work out of the box)
    2) PLC -> Flasher -> MCU (this will require some development on our side, please contact sales department)

Regards
    Arne
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.