[DUPLICATE] Support of ARM MPcore

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [DUPLICATE] Support of ARM MPcore

Hi;

I'm having a Jlink 10.1 device. I have a chip using ARM cortex A5 MPcore. On power up, I can detect and connect with core 0. I would like to know whether Jlink can connect with other cores and enable debugging. If yes, how to do it? Thanks!
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Which target device are you looking to connect to exactly?
    Is it on our supported device list?
    segger.com/downloads/supported-devices.php

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting: Forum Rules

Keep in mind, this is not a support forum. Its main purpose is user to user interaction.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support contact us per e-mail.
    The following contact form can be used for this: Contact Us

• Nino;

Thanks! It is not on the list. It is a cortex A5 MPcore. There are 4 cores inside.

Actually, I'm wondering whether the support of MPcore needs to be associated with a particular device or not. I thought it can be generic. Just like Cortex A5, or A7. We don't need to specify which device it is. It is generic A5 or A7.

Maybe I can ask from another angle. For NXP VF6xx, it is asymmetric MP core. It is supported. For symmetric MP core, can it be supported in similar way (maybe minor tweak)?
  • Hello,

If the cores are implemented as generic as possible you should be able to select Cortex-A5 as the target device and be able to debug the core.
    However to switch between cores and for more advanced debug features additional settings are most likely required. For the a J-Link script file can be used.
    More information can be found in the J-Link user manual.
    Could you test generic Cortex-A5 connection using J-Link commander? wiki.segger.com/J-Link_cannot_…ty_using_J-Link_Commander
    What is the output?
    Could you name the exact target device you are looking to debug?
    What is the S/N of the J-Link you are using?
    If the target device is publicly available with an eval board we could look into acquiring one and add device specific support.
    Should it not be publicly available and only on custom hardware we could look into implementing it for NREs.
    Would that be of interest to you?

Best regards,
    Nino

Keep in mind, this is not a support forum. Its main purpose is user to user interaction.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.

• Thanks for the info! Below is the log. I'm good with the connection to core 0. We can identify it properly through the commander. As for the device, it is not publicly available now, so I'm not able to disclose much. However, I get your point. I will consider it.

Device "CORTEX-A5" selected.

TotalIRLen = 4, IRPrint = 0x01
    ARM AP[0]: 0x24770002, APB-AP
    ROMTbl 0 [0]: 01000003, CID: B105900D, PID:04-001BBC05 Cortex-A5
    Found Cortex-A5 r0p1
    3 code breakpoints, 2 data breakpoints
    Debug architecture ARMv7.0
    Data endian: little
    Main ID register: 0x410FC051
    I-Cache L1: 16 KB, 256 Sets, 32 Bytes/Line, 2-Way
    D-Cache L1: 16 KB, 128 Sets, 32 Bytes/Line, 4-Way
    System control register:
    Instruction endian: little
    Level-1 instruction cache disabled
    Level-1 data cache disabled
    MMU disabled
    Branch prediction enabled
    Found 1 JTAG device, Total IRLen = 4:
    #0 Id: 0x4BA00477, IRLen: 04, IRPrint: 0x1, CoreSight JTAG-DP (ARM)
    Cortex-A5 identified.
  • Hello,

I noticed that your colleague seems to have opened his own thread to the same regard. Is Cortex-A5 MPcore supported?
    Could you try to combine your efforts through one communications channel, so no information gets lost through multiple threads?
    This thread will be closed for now as duplicate.

Best regards,
    Nino