[SOLVED] A53 support

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] A53 support

Hello,

I read on the Wiki page today that the JLink EDU supports the A53 core. To what extent does Embedded Studio support the A53 core? Are there any support packages available for popular A53 based boards like the Raspberry Pi 3?

Regards,
    Szoshi
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    J-Link (and thus Embedded Studio) currently offers rudimentary debug support for A53 cores.
    So in most cases you can connect to Core0 and debug it.
    If you are using a target device that requires a specific initialization this has to be done by the user. For this a J-Link script file needs to be used.
    More information can be found int he J-Link user guide(UM08001).
    We are planning to add advanced debug support for some selected more popular A53 cores e.g. the S32V232.
    The Broadcom chip on the Raspberry Pi 3 is currently not planned, but as said before, this can be implemented by users using our open interfaces.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Nino,

many thanks for your prompt reply. I have a follow up question. I already own a JLink EDU for hobby purposes. I think I have a version 8 model. Can you confirm if the models being currently sold in Europe (The Netherlands to be precise) are all latest version 10 models? I could not find this information in the listings unfortunately. Is there a specific way to identify a verion 10 model?

Best regards,
    Szoshi
  • Hello Szoshi,

To our knowledge all our official distribution partners have the V10 in stock. segger.com/purchase/distributors/
    You can verify if you have a V10 J-Link by either looking at the bottom sticker on the probe itself or by starting the J-Link Commander, there a string will be output which HW version you have exactly.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hello Nino,

The bottom sticker on my JLink says Version 10.1. Does this mean that my JLink supports A53? I am asking since I am pretty sure that official A53 support was not announced when I bought my JLink. Do I need a firmware upgrade to use it with A53? Do I need to upgrade from Embedded Studio 3.34 to 4.01?

Best regards,
    Szoshi
  • Hello Szoshi,

szoshi wrote:

The bottom sticker on my JLink says Version 10.1. Does this mean that my JLink supports A53?
    Correct. See here: wiki.segger.com/Software_and_Hardware_Features_Overview

szoshi wrote:

Do I need a firmware upgrade to use it with A53?
    Yes, simply download the latest J-Link software version and launch J-Link Commander. You will then be prompted with a FW update dialogue if your J-Link needs one.

szoshi wrote:

Do I need to upgrade from Embedded Studio 3.34 to 4.01?
    Updating Embedded Studio is not necessary. But the J-Link DLL in Embedded Studio must be updated.
    The easiest way is to use the latest Embedded Studio version 3.50 as it ships with an updated DLL.
    Generally we recommend using our latest software releases if possible.

Best regards,
    Nino