[SOLVED] Ozone questions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Ozone questions

Hi,

I've recently been running Ozone V2.56u Linux with a jTrace Pro and would like to ask a few questions..

* Is there a way to find a function in the instruction trace?
    * Is there a way to debug a dynamically loaded program? i.e. something loaded by an operating system. Alternatively, how can I load symbols from multiple ELF files?
    * Is there a way to stop Ozone from trying to flash the target when the ELF file changes?
    * Is there a way to enable data trace?
    * If I 'Collapse All' in the instruction trace and then scroll up the window, new entries aren't collapsed.
    * If I switch desktops away from Ozone (e.g. to refer to some code) and then switch back the instruction trace resets back to the end of the list and I lose my context.
    * Is there a way to configure the tab size in the source viewer?
    * The disassembler wrongly decodes some instructions, i.e. Thumb 0xF85FF000 is decoded as "ldr.w pc, [pc, r0]" which is nonsense.

Thanks,

Patrick
  • Hello Patrick,

Thank you for your inquiry.

pattyo wrote:

* Is there a way to find a function in the instruction trace?
    Currently not. We will put it on our wish-list for Ozone.

pattyo wrote:

* Is there a way to debug a dynamically loaded program? i.e. something loaded by an operating system. Alternatively, how can I load symbols from multiple ELF files?
    If you want to trace "dynamic" code you need to read the changed application into trace cache: wiki.segger.com/Getting_unknow…sses_in_instruction_trace

pattyo wrote:

* Is there a way to stop Ozone from trying to flash the target when the ELF file changes?
    If the application changes then it needs to be flashed with the new data, otherwise you would try to debug an incorrect application. Only if the application stays 1:1 the same it won't be reflashed. Generally J-Link will only reflash affected Flash sectors. Alternatively try using File.Load instead of File.Open.

pattyo wrote:

Currently not supported due to low demand and very little number of target devices that have implemented this functionality.
    Another drawback is also that it will most likely only work only in a limited fashion as data trace takes a lot of bandwidth which is unfortunately shared with the instruction trace stream, so for more complex applications the user has to trade off between instruction trace and data trace.
    But it is on our wish-list for J-Trace PRO and might come as a beta feature some time this year.

pattyo wrote:

* If I 'Collapse All' in the instruction trace and then scroll up the window, new entries aren't collapsed.
    This was reproducible. Should be fixed with the next version.

pattyo wrote:

* If I switch desktops away from Ozone (e.g. to refer to some code) and then switch back the instruction trace resets back to the end of the list and I lose my context.
    For clarification. Do you mean here the virtual-desktop feature of Linux? Which Linux version are you running exactly? Is it on a VM or natively?

pattyo wrote:

We assume you mean the source files window.
    Generally Ozone will memorize your window settings for each project after you close the Ozone project the first time. Then it will create a .user file next to the .jdebug file which will memorize the last windows settings applied.

pattyo wrote:

* The disassembler wrongly decodes some instructions, i.e. Thumb 0xF85FF000 is decoded as "ldr.w pc, [pc, r0]" which is nonsense.
    Did you turn off the J-Link instruction set simulatio? View->J-Link Control Panel->Settings->Misc.->Allow instruction set simulation
    Does disabling that option solve the issue?
    If not could you provide example screenshots and an example project for reproduction purposes?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • SEGGER - Nino wrote:

Hi Nino,

pattyo wrote:

If the application changes then it needs to be flashed with the new data, otherwise you would try to debug an incorrect application. Only if the application stays 1:1 the same it won't be reflashed. Generally J-Link will only reflash affected Flash sectors. Alternatively try using File.Load instead of File.Open.

The reason for the question is that I flash the target with a file system image and have no need for Ozone to try flashing. It would be perfect if it could just reload the elf file and not attempt to flash.

pattyo wrote:

Currently not supported due to low demand and very little number of target devices that have implemented this functionality.Another drawback is also that it will most likely only work only in a limited fashion as data trace takes a lot of bandwidth which is unfortunately shared with the instruction trace stream, so for more complex applications the user has to trade off between instruction trace and data trace.
    But it is on our wish-list for J-Trace PRO and might come as a beta feature some time this year.

Understand the limitations -- I would be _very_ interested in trying this feature. I run the target at reduced clock speeds to allow for more trace data (trace clock on imxrt is separate from core clock).

pattyo wrote:

For clarification. Do you mean here the virtual-desktop feature of Linux? Which Linux version are you running exactly? Is it on a VM or natively?

Yes, the virtual desktop feature. I am using Arch Linux running the XFCE window manager.

pattyo wrote:

We assume you mean the source files window.Generally Ozone will memorize your window settings for each project after you close the Ozone project the first time. Then it will create a .user file next to the .jdebug file which will memorize the last windows settings applied.

I meant in the "source viewer" (center area in this image segger.com/fileadmin/images/pr…/Ozone/ozone-debugger.png) I would like to set the tab size to 8 spaces.

pattyo wrote:

Did you turn off the J-Link instruction set simulatio? View->J-Link Control Panel->Settings->Misc.->Allow instruction set simulationDoes disabling that option solve the issue?
    If not could you provide example screenshots and an example project for reproduction purposes?

I did not change any settings relating to instruction set simulation, so they should be set to default.

I am unable to test disabling the option as I am away from the office for 5 weeks. I am happy to provide a screenshot/example project when I return.

Thank you,

Patrick
  • Hello Patrick,

pattyo wrote:

The reason for the question is that I flash the target with a file system image and have no need for Ozone to try flashing. It would be perfect if it could just reload the elf file and not attempt to flash.
    This behaviour is not what 99% of our customers expect, so there are no plans to change this currently.

pattyo wrote:

Understand the limitations -- I would be _very_ interested in trying this feature. I run the target at reduced clock speeds to allow for more trace data (trace clock on imxrt is separate from core clock).
    As said. It is on our ToDo just not as highly prioritized as some other paid project at the moment.

pattyo wrote:

Is there a way to configure the tab size in the source viewer?
    Currently not but we will put it on our wish list for Ozone.
    Yes, this is possible. Tools->Preferences->General->Source Viewer->Dropdown->Tab Spacing

pattyo wrote:

I am unable to test disabling the option as I am away from the office for 5 weeks. I am happy to provide a screenshot/example project when I return.
    Alright we will await your response.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.