[SOLVED] Memory Segment (end)address_symbol not working

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Memory Segment (end)address_symbol not working

Dear all,

there was another thread about 10 months ago that was mentioning that the 'size' element of a memory segment is not working. For this there is a workaround mentioned.
    I found that : address_symbol:A symbolic name for the end address of the memory segment
    is also not working. There is also the possibility to work with the name of the segment as __<name>_segment_end__ . However, it would be nice to set a more independent variable name (that I use in my C-Program).
    Additionally I like to know if there is a way to set other symbolic names than the one at the beginning/end of a segment or section. In GNU linker scripts you can set any symbolic name to any value. This is sometimes helpful in my applications.

Best Regards
    Markus
  • Hello Markus,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    We are currently in the process to eliminate the gcc linker as soon as possible due to issues and limitations that pop up occasionally.
    Therefore we created the SEGGER Linker which is available since V3.50.
    Could you give it a try? It should work more straightforward. The documentation can be accessed through the Embedded Studio help as pictured in the attached image.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Images
    • Capture.PNG

14.63 kB, 377×307, viewed 284 times
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nino,

thanks for the hint.
    I had a look into the documentation and have two questions.
    • Is there a possibility to generate also a .bin file as linker output?
    • Do I invoke the linker by choosing in the Option dialog box 'SEGGER' instead of 'GNU' and point to a linker script file with 'Additional Linker Options From File'?
    Best Regards
    Markus
  • Hello Markus,

markuskrug wrote:

Is there a possibility to generate also a .bin file as linker output?
    Yes, ProjectOptions->Linker->Additional Output Format->bin

markuskrug wrote:

Do I invoke the linker by choosing in the Option dialog box 'SEGGER' instead of 'GNU' and point to a linker script file with 'Additional Linker Options From File'?
    Attached are the instructions needed to be followed to enable the SEGGER Linker. They can be found in the ES help.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Images
    • Capture.PNG

19.2 kB, 856×314, viewed 254 times
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.