[SOLVED] User events and descriptions file

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] User events and descriptions file

Hi,

I have SystemView working now with FreeRTOS/STM32F4xx. Its a great tool, thank you.

I have a custom module working with descriptions file.

As an aside, I also found user events useful for more short term debugging.

Is it possible to load a descriptions file for the user events? Or is the custom module the required approach?

Thanks
    Alex.
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Glad to hear that you like SystemView.
    Are you running an application with an ROTS?
    What are you looking to achieve using user events?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nino,

Yes its an RTOS application. I have had FreeRTOS9 working and in the midst of upgrading to FreeRTOS10. I have also previously used Percepio extensively.

So I think the role of user events is uncertain hence the question right? So whilst there is module events which I have used, I imagine a new dev might start with user events as its simple. The first thing they would look for once getting that to work, would be to modify a description file to map numbers to readable meaningful named events. Eventually a developer would use the custom module events to get the additional parameters passed into the event capture.

Regards,
    Alex.
  • Hello Alex,

For clarification, the UserEvents and description files are used for different things in SystemView.
    A UserEvent is basically just a simple event which has an ID for tracking which can be started and stopped as you like without any direct context to the running application. It is kind of the Start/Stop function of a stopwatch, so SystemView will do no interpretation of this event but will only log it and the user needs to make the correct connections outside of SystemView.

The description file contains all API functions of an application or in this case the OS. So the calls will have direct context in the application and SystemView will show the calls graphically with additional information. So this would be used for complete SystemView implementation of your application.
    How to use them is explained in an generic example on our Wiki in a NoOS application: wiki.segger.com/Use_SystemView_without_RTOS

How to use SystemView with FreeRTOs is explained here and in the SystemView user guide: wiki.segger.com/FreeRTOS_with_SystemView

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Nino,

Yep I have seen the RTOS description file and also I have created my own description file for my custom module. Given this, I guess I expected a description file for user events to be possible. But currently I understand that is not the case.

Regards,
    Alex.
  • Hello,

abeck70 wrote:

Given this, I guess I expected a description file for user events to be possible. But currently I understand that is not the case.
    Correct, UserEvents are are only meant for very simple user tags in the event log.

Best regards,
    Nino