[SOLVED] MCU's with QSPI flashing possibility

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] MCU's with QSPI flashing possibility

Hello there,
    I am currently looking at this list: segger.com/downloads/supported-devices.php
    I need to flash the QSPI memory (Macronix one, visible on this list segger.com/products/debug-prob…es/supported-spi-flashes/ ) with elf file, using the SEGGER J-LINK. The problem is that my MCU (STM32L452) doesnt have QSPI listed as supported. I am then wondering either this is a mistake, or it is indeed not supported in J-LINK? The question arises because it is an m4 code like STM32F4, which have QSPI listed.

I would appreciate all help regarding this.
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    QSPI controllers work on every device differently so one Flash loader can't be transferred easily to another device. So far there was no demand to implement it for the STM32L452.
    Usually we implement a QSPI flash loader for a specific device based on an eval board that has a QSPI Flash connected.
    This is unfortunately not the case with any STM32L452 eval board.
    Nonetheless you have several options here:
    1. You can use our open Flash loader interface and implement the flash loader yourself: wiki.segger.com/Adding_Support_for_New_Devices
    2. We implement the Flash loader based on your hardware. In that case NREs would apply.

Which option is of interest for you?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello,

1: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-recurring_engineering
    2: You can debug code if the QSPI Flash supports "execute in place". Otherwise it can only be used as data Flash.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• thanks for answer. From that definition I understand that NRE is not free, thus, probably cant afford it ;).

Yes, this mcu supporta xip. So just to make everything clear: even though this mcu is not supported for qspi flash flashing by jlink, I can still use jlink to debug code that was loaded to the qspi flash using my bootloader? How would that work in practice? Would I start debug session without flashing?
  • Hello,

bremenpl wrote:

even though this mcu is not supported for qspi flash flashing by jlink
    Not quite correct. It does not work out-of-the-box for STM32L4 series like for some target devices where we have implemented it already. But using the open Flash loader interface any Cortex-M with QSPI controller can be used.
    How is explained step by step in the Wiki article linked in my last post.
    When writing your application all you need to do is link your application into the QSPI Flash and you are good to go.
    How to use the Flashloader in a specific IDE or similar is explained here: wiki.segger.com/Using_Flashloader_with_different_IDEs

Best regards,
    Nino