[SOLVED] error Remote 'g' packet reply is too long: ........

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] error Remote 'g' packet reply is too long: ........

Hello,
    I am experiencing a problem when i try to start debuging using a JLink Edu and JLink GDB server combination.
    When I start to debug i get the following error
    Remote 'g' packet reply is too long: ........

My development environment is
    Visual Studio 2013 using VisualGDB
    Segger JLink Edu
    Segger GDB (cli) server
    Target = PIC32MX795F512H
    Target Interface = ICSP
    PCB = custom

I have confirmed that i can use the JLink successfully with the custom PCB in the MplabX Development environment provided by Microchip (using the dll/pluggin to control the debugger and not the GDB server)
    I have contacted VisualGDB regarding this issue and they told me to contact Segger about it as it looks like an incompatability between the Segger GDB stub and the toolchain I am using.

Can anyone recomend a way to resolve this problem?

Thanks
    Regards
    Stuart
  • Hello Stuart,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.
    Could you provide a screenshot of a J-Link Commander connect?
    wiki.segger.com/J-Link_cannot_…ty_using_J-Link_Commander
    Which J-Link software version and VisualGDB version are you using?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Nino,
    I am using JLink v6.32h and Visual GDB version 5.4(preview 3, build 2332)
    I am also using Microchips xc32 V2.05 compiler
    I have attached the output of Jlink commander when it has connected and the version screen of visual GDB.
    Thanks for your help
    Regards
    Stuart
    Images
    • jlinkCommander.jpg

135.45 kB, 979×950, viewed 614 times
    • visualgdbVersion.jpg

64.73 kB, 506×474, viewed 596 times
  • Hello Stuart,

Unfortunately GDB for PIC32 is not implemented for J-Link software due to low demand.
    Currently only MPLAB is supported which you already confirmed is working.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi Nino,
    Thanks or gettting back to me. Its probably of no surprise that that news is very disappointing to me. Maybe you could pass on some feedback to the appropriate people for me. Could you let them know that if they say that PIC32 is supported, it actually is fully supported like the other devices, not just partially supported and its up to the customer to discover what combinations work.
    So, is there any expectation that PIC32 support will be implemented in the near future? Keeping in mind, if it is implemented, it will give microchip developers an alternative (JLink,VisualGDB and VisualStudio) to using MplabX. If you have ever used MplabX, you would understand what an attractive proposition that would be!
    Looking forward to Segger's response.
    Regards
    Stuart
  • Hello Stuart,

sambuddy200471 wrote:

If you have ever used MplabX, you would understand what an attractive proposition that would be!
    Totally understandable, having alternatives is always a good thing. However the PIC32 market is simply to small compared to the Arm market. Please understand that it is not in our interest to invest significant time and effort on adding additional features that we won't get directly or indirectly revenue from, especially considering follow up support.

So at the current point in time there are no plans to expand PIC32 support in our ecosystem.

Best regards,
    Nino