[SOLVED] Hot plug does not work with Microchip SAMD21G18

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Hot plug does not work with Microchip SAMD21G18

Dear Segger,

I have an own board using Microchip's SAMD21G18 and would like to attach to running firmware via SWD hot-plug feature.

Either when using Atmel-ICE SWD debugger under Windows Atmel-Studio or Atmel-ICE SWD debugger under MacOS/Ecplise/gnu-mcu-eclipse/openocd-Plugin both are able to perform hot-plug.

When using my Segger JLINK Plus (DLL version V6.32h, automatically updated JLink to lasted firmware) from within Eclipse or even Segger's own Ozone Debugger I will always get a reset (reset line is asserted by Jlink, oberserved by logic analyzer) during attach. So hot-plug is not possible, which is really a pity. I am not keen on swapping my debuggers all the time.

Is this issue known? Hot to get hot-plug run with Segger's JLink?

regards

SPR
  • Hello SPR,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.
    For clarification, when talking about hot-plugging, what are you trying to achieve with your setup?
    To attach to the program while the target is running? Or something else?
    Are you using custom hardware or an eval board?
    What are the steps you are trying with Ozone when hot-plugging does not work?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nino,

many thanks for really quick reply. Yes, with hot-plug I mean to attach to a running target without getting resets. Yes I run a custom hardware.

First I have to apologise, I made a mistake and run a different firmware when using the Segger Jlink during my test this thread relates to. My faulty firmware disconnects on start-up all pins which also includes the SWD pins. This led to my wrong interperatation that there is an issue with JLink. I fixed my firmware and now it works!

So my conclution is that with Segger Ozone hot-plug (attach) works quite good: I am able to connect JLink cable while target is running (connect USB before, otherwise the target is reset), can attach to target, halt, watch variables and resume several times and after disconnecting Ozone session the target keep running. This is perfect!

I tried now the same from within Eclipse (by using the GNU MCU Eclipse Plug-in which supports JLink actually quite well for flashing and debugging). I am can also attach to target, halt and watch variables. But when resuming or terminatoing the target restarts unfortunately. This is not very helpful, seems to be an issue with the Eclipse plug-in.

Nevertheless the Segger Ozone debugger is working fine and I am happy now.

regards

SPR
  • Hello SPR,

Great to hear that you are up and running again.
    We will consider this thread as solved now.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.