[SOLVED] SWO stream to virtual COM port

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] SWO stream to virtual COM port

Hi there. I have a PC application which expects to connect to an embedded target's serial port and interpret the stream of serial data received from the target. Now I would like to connect it to an embedded target which is, instead, sending its output via SWO. in other words, I'd like the SWO stream from the target to appear as a virtual COM port on the PC. Do the JLink tools offer an interface through which I can do this? I would be happy to incorporate a JLink DLL and, given an API into the DLL, extract the SWO stream myself and send it to a virtual COM port.
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    The following thread should answer your question.
    [SOLVED] Get the SWO debug output thought COM port

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thanks, but that seems to be talking about some HW thing called 'VCOM'. What I mean is that I want to take the SWO data stream from the JLink SW and present it internally within the PC as a COM port, so pure software, no additional HW involved. It would be something that incorporated the JLink DLL and created a virtual COM port, a bit like a TAP/TUN interface does for network interfaces.

Do you publish the interfaces that the Jlink DLL offers to permit this?

Rob
  • Hi Rob,

Thank you for clarification. So you are looking for a pure software implementation.
    In that case the J-Link SDK can be used: segger.com/products/debug-prob…nk/technology/j-link-sdk/
    So you can use our J-Link API to request the SWO data that usually e.g. the JLinkSWOViewer would get which you can then process in any other application e.g. in your VCOM application.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.