[SOLVED] Simple usability improvements for RTT viewer

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Simple usability improvements for RTT viewer

RTT viewer is a useful tool but could be much improved with some simple changes

* For the love of ... can't you make the "Input/sending/block if fifo full" flag persistent? ;) This catches me out every time I try to use rttviewer as a terminal. While you're at it, up/down history is nice but in 2018 I'm used to getting auto-complete as I type.
    * Provide a pause/resume button. It's intensely annoying to have the display scroll up just as I'm looking at a particular piece of debug.
    * Increase the size of the scroll-back buffer. My pc has 8GB of RAM - you're welcome to use a little bit more of it!
    * Add an optional timestamp gutter so I can see what time debug messages were received.
    * Allow me to pick the colours for each terminal
    * Show a connected/disconnect status icon

* In common with Jflashlite, surely it's obvious that if I click Cancel/Close on initial configuration dialog, I don't want to then proceed to the main application?

Not meaning to sound ungrateful - I know this is 'free' and I use it every day but it definitely could do with some love : :)
  • Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.
    We will put the mentioned points onto our the wishlist and discuss the points internally in our next meeting.
    If you are looking to implement your very own RTT application we recommend the J-Link SDK: segger.com/products/debug-prob…nk/technology/j-link-sdk/
    With the J-Link SDK you have all the tools and flexibility to create custom applications that interface with J-Link.
    Would that be of interest for you?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thanks Nino. Yes, I'm aware of the SDK but paying 800Euro for the privilege of improving your tools seems a little steep. Of course, you're free to choose your own business model but charging for the SDK is a bit of a disincentive to people like myself who might otherwise create tools around the hardware. :)

> Increase the size of the scroll-back buffer.

Credit, where credit is due... I notice that in 6.32, the Terminals menu has now added a 'buffer size' option ! <thumbsup>

The post was edited 3 times, last by neilm ().