[SOLVED] J-Trace cannot find core in Coresight setup

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Trace cannot find core in Coresight setup

Hello,

I am having problems to connect with J-trace programmer and programming an ARM-M3 cortex device (ATSAM3S2A) from ATMEL.
    As a consequence of this, I cannot program the device through SWD interface.
    When I try to connect I get some error messages as follows (I attach you the pop-up message):

Could not find core in Coresight setup
    Could not perform custom init sequence
    Could not halt CPU

I have been trying to understand that, but I could not fix it yet. The fact is that for an ARM-M3 cortex device ATSAM3S1A it works properly but not for ATSAM3S2A.
    It is due to a lack of ROM file that needs to be loaded in J-Trace SW? I have also been looking at the wiki.segger.com web but I didn't find anything yet.

Does anybody know what is going wrong here?

Thank you in advance.

Regards
    Images
    • Error_Message.PNG

29.03 kB, 458×248, viewed 3,674 times
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.
    We tried to reproduce the issue using the latest J-Link software but everything is working as expected (Screenshot attached).

Does the issue resolve for you when using the latest J-Link software release?
    If not could you post a screenshot of the output of the J-Link Commander output?
    wiki.segger.com/J-Link_cannot_…ty_using_J-Link_Commander

Best regards,
    Nino
    Images
    • Capture.PNG

37.82 kB, 677×666, viewed 3,009 times
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Nino,

Thank you for your reply.
    I am using v6.30f version and if I update the sw to the latest release, I get the same message and therefore the problem still remains.

I attach you the screenshot of the output of the J-Link Commander output.
    It does not matter whichever target interface I select, I mean, SWD or JTAG, I cannot connect anyway.

Thank you all in advance.
    I hope we can fix it.

Regards.
    Images
    • Capture_1.png

75.59 kB, 840×848, viewed 2,406 times
    • Capture_2.png

68.1 kB, 848×850, viewed 2,163 times
  • Hello,

Could you provide commander output from the latest J-Link software as well?
    The current version is V6.32f: segger.com/downloads/jlink/#J-…twareAndDocumentationPack

Are you using custom hardware or an eval board?
    If you are using custom hardware, is the issue reproducible on an eval board?
    For our tests we used the SAM3S-EK and could not reproduce any of the reported behaviour.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hello,

I attach you a the commader output from the latest J-Link software, V6.32f.
    It does not change anything because we still cannot connect with the device.

We are using a custom hardware and do not have eval board to test that.

As for the commander output, I see a message that maybe is the key to understand why the core id is not reconnized, but I am unable to understand it.
    The message is:

"AP [0]: Skipped. Could not read AHB ROM register."

Any idea?

Regards,
    Images
    • Screenshoot_v632f.png

50.74 kB, 830×572, viewed 2,141 times
  • Hello,

According to the Commander output a AP map has been manually configured. Are you using some kind of JLinkScript file to set it manually?
    With our setup the AP map is set automatically.
    Could you provide a J-Link log file of such a session? wiki.segger.com/Enable_J-Link_log_file

ARangel wrote:

We are using a custom hardware and do not have eval board to test that.
    Please understand that we can't put more time into this investigation as the reported behaviour is not reproducible on a SAM3S-EK eval board.
    We suggest comparing the eval board and custom board to see if there are any differences in the way the debug port interface is connected.

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hello Nino,

I attach you the log files expecting they can help you. This time, I do not know why, it does not indicate anything about manually mapping.
    I will try to clarify this in detail although it is not reproducible on eval board as you said before.

1. We are not using any kind of script file to set this AP manually.
    I can confirm you 100% because we do not have such a file loaded in the checking square at Project Settings/MCU.
    That is why I was surprised of this when I saw it, and I told you that maybe it was the key to understand what happened here.
    I do not why it is doing that in such a way.

2. We have another MCU, ATSAM3S1A, which is exactly the same with an exception that this one has a little bit less FLASH and SRAM (64Kbytes and 16Kbytes for S1A and 128kBytes and 32Kbytes for S2A) capability.
    Of course we are downloading the same program in both devices.
    In fact, for ATSAM3S1A device, the same program can be ALWAYS properly programmed with the same custom hardware used for ATSAM3S2A device.
    So, why it is Ok for S1A and not for S2A? We do not know yet and we would like to know it.

3. To conclude.
    We have partially solved this making an script, a ".bat" file that opens the command shell and downloads the program to ATSAM3S2A.
    It is basically the same that doing that through the J-Flash app, but in an script. Sometimes we have to execute it 3 or 4 times, because it does not work at first for some devices but at the end it works fine.
    We tried to do that with J-Link Commander but it was not possible because the connection was always unable to perform by this way.

If it helps you and everyone, I attach the script (.bat) as well.
    Thanking you all in advance.

Regards,
    Images
    • s1.png

74.33 kB, 839×849, viewed 2,513 times
    Files
    • JLinkARM.log

(13.93 kB, downloaded 1,502 times, last: )
    • scripts_bat.zip

(500 Byte, downloaded 1,976 times, last: )
  • Hello,

Thank you for sharing your script.
    We will close this thread now so the information stays conserved.

Best regards,
    Nino