[SOLVED] JLink Commander Loadbin not loading bin

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] JLink Commander Loadbin not loading bin

Thanks for any help. I have been trying in vain to use the Segger JLink Base and Jlink Commander to load firmware into an STM32L476JG chip.

I can connect, program and set read protect with the ST-Link/V2 pod, using the same connector, so I know all the connections are good.
    With the Segger pod, I am able to connect to the chip, read the chip, erase the chip, etc. The command "loadbin firmware.bin 0x0" returns "downloading file [firmware.bin]... O.K."
    But... it doesn't actually load any firmware. verifybin fails because the whole chip is still FF.

{Edit: I confirmed that I don't need a license to load firmware with Commander. I would need it if I was using JFlash.}

(And I know you might think, "Well, if they ST pod works, and is 10% of the price of a Segger Base anyway..." We also have a Nordic chip on the board, and we're trying to tie it all up in one script or app for high volume production.)

Thanks,
    Jean Rimbaud

The post was edited 1 time, last by JeanRimbaud ().

• Hello Jean,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.
    Are you programming only internal Flash or external as well?
    Is this issue reproducible with an STM32L4 eval board?
    If yes which one?
    Could you provide the binary file for reproduction?
    Could you post a screenshot of your J-Link Commander session and a J-Link log file? wiki.segger.com/Enable_J-Link_log_file

The J-Link Commander is not meant to be used as a production tool. If you are looking for our professional production tool we recommend using JFlash with an appropriate Flasher tool.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Nino,

Thanks for the reply.
    I had problems with that computer and Nordic nrf dongles (which have Segger firmware in them), so I switched to another machine, thinking maybe I was having driver issues.
    Alas... I have the same problem on a Windows 10 machine.

The main issue seems to be this: When I use 'loadbin', no progress bar or dialog pops up. It simply returns "O.K."

Sorry, I don't have an ST dev board here. We have larger prototype boards that we use, too, and I'm able to load firmware with the ST LINK, but not the Segger pod -- same issue.
    Images
    • segger screen shot 2.JPG

40.49 kB, 670×335, viewed 782 times
    • segger screen shot.JPG

182.41 kB, 678×903, viewed 950 times
    Files
    • log.log

(6.85 kB, downloaded 440 times, last: )

• Hello,

Thank you for providing the files.
    We were able to reproduce the reported issue.
    It is related to the Flash area region of the STM32L476 device family which was not set in J-Link yet.
    The physical Flash for that device is at 0x08000000.
    Current workaround is to use loadbin abc.bin 0x08000000.
    A fixed version where you can load to 0x0 again should be available with the next J-Link software release.
    If you want to get notified when our next version releases we suggest subscribing to our notification system: segger.com/notification/subscribe.php?prodid=7

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Thanks Nino!

I'm glad I'm not crazy :)
    I used the address you suggested, and it worked a treat!

(BTW, I deleted my bin from my previous post. There's nothing proprietary in it, but we'd rather not have it rattling around.)

Cheers,
    Jean

• Hello Jean,

This issue should be fixed with the current J-Link software version.
    Could you give it a try and load the application to 0x0 with the latest version?
    Can you confirm that the issue is resolved on your side as well?

Best regards,
    Nino