[SOLVED] How do I add a CPU to an existing project?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] How do I add a CPU to an existing project?

I've just started using SES after migrating from Keil MDK as I need a tool chain that runs natively on OS X. Must say I really like what I've seen so far :)

I've imported an MDK project, which has given me a project containing my source files with the expected debug target selected.
    However, the "CMSIS Files", "System Files" and the like were not added to the project, even though the required package is installed - the files are added if I create a new project for the CPU.
    Is there a way I can add/change the CPU for the imported project to get these files added to it?
    Chris
  • Hello Chris,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    When importing to Embedded Studio using the import wizard only files will be copied over that are directly referenced in the Keil project.
    All additional files like CMSIS and RTOS files that you have enabled through the package manager in Keil will most likely no be referenced directly so Embedded Studio can't copy them automatically over.
    This needs to be done manually in such cases.
    A guide on how to port from a third party IDE to ES can be found here: wiki.segger.com/How_to_port_pr…to_SEGGER_Embedded_Studio
    The guide shows an example for IAR but the troubleshooting points and general procedure apply to Keil as well.

If you are looking on starting a new project from scratch with Arm CMSIS packs already in your project we recommend using Embedded Studio's own package manager which is based on the Arm CMSIS packages so you can get quickly started with your particular target device: segger.com/products/developmen…o/technology/cpu-support/

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thanks, I had already looked at the import guide.

What I can't work out is how to get ES to add the startup and processor register files to my project.

When I create a new project I am given the option to include:

Source Code

1. $(DeviceHeaderFile)
    2. $(DeviceSystemFile)
    3. $(DeviceVectorsFile)
    4. thumb_crt0.s
    5. XMC4000_Startup.s
    Is there I way I can add this to an imported project without manually having to find them and copy them in?
  • Hello,

keylevel wrote:

Is there I way I can add this to an imported project without manually having to find them and copy them in?
    We recommend to import all referenced files withint the Keil project in Keil first so they get copied over and are not just referenced from the default Keil package folder. If you run the Embedded Studio importer after that all files should be present.
    The import tool itself does not have an automatic option for this so if you do not import "external" files to your Keil project prior to the Embedded Studio import you have to do it manually afterwards.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.