[SOLVED] [Ozone] 2.56M Possible regression with Variable Refresh

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] [Ozone] 2.56M Possible regression with Variable Refresh

I saw int he release notes for 2.56m that automatic refreshed is disabled by default.

When I tried my project from 2.56e, It seems there is no way to turn on refreshing of variables. When i right-click in the "Watched Data"view and select a refresh other an "off" (for example 1Hz), It will immediately return to "off" as soon as I start debugging.

I tried turning on refresh it with the target paused and while it was running and got the same results.

It does not seem like there is a way in this version to turn refresh on.
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    The reported issue should be fixed with the latest Ozone V2.56n.

Quote from release notes: "The refresh rates of watched expressions were erroneously reset to "off" when the program was resumed. Fixed."

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi, there is still a bug remaining in v2.56n.

If an expression is added to the Watch Window, all expressions are set to a refresh rate of "Off".

Additionally, in this state when all expressions are "Off", we cannot edit the Expression name in the "Expression" column. Normally, we can double-click the name of the expression to edit it. But if all expressions have a refresh of "Off", then none of the expressions can be edited. Only when right-clicking and setting one expression to "1Hz" or more, then we can edit the name of an expression.

-Dan
  • Hi Dan,

During run time expression names can't be edited if refresh rate is Off. This behaviour is intended.
    The other reported issues were not reproducible with an example project.
    Could you provide a step by step reproduction scenario?
    What data types are you watching?
    Could you attach the Ozone Console log of such a session?

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• SEGGER - Nino wrote:

Hi Dan,

During run time expression names can't be edited if refresh rate is Off. This behaviour is intended.
    The other reported issues were not reproducible with an example project.
    Could you provide a step by step reproduction scenario?
    What data types are you watching?
    Could you attach the Ozone Console log of such a session?

Best regards,
    Nino
    To reproduce the bug:

I found that right-clicking in the Watch window and selecting "Watch..." and then typing the variable name does not produce the bug. It seems to work OK if you use the pop-up window to enter the expression name.

However, double-clicking on the small blue arrow on the empty line in the Watch window allows me to type a new expression name. When I press enter after typing the name, all the expressions in the watch window are set to Refresh=Off. Changing the Refresh value is very cumbersome (right-click sub-menu) so changing all the values back is tedious.

The types I am testing are uint32_t ("ulong" in the Watch window). The type doesn't matter, I also tested with enum, struct, and char. All types behave the same. Arrays, single elements, everything behaves the same.
    It also does not matter if the program is running, or paused. Either way, if I double click the blue arrow, type an expression (whether valid or invalid expression, it does not matter), then press Enter, all Refresh settings are set to Off. In fact, I can't find an example where double-clicking the blue arrow does *not* set the Refresh value to Off for all expressions in the Watch window.

Do you see the same behavior?

I am using the MacOS version 2.56n, debugging a project for the STM32F765. Trace is disabled.
  • Does anyone else see this behavior?

Here is a screen recording of it happening:

Video of SEGGER Ozone Bug in Watch Window

In the Watch Window, the Refresh Rate for all expressions is set to Off whenever a new expression is added by double-clicking the blank line.

Additionally, I've found that the Refresh Rate for all expressions is reset to Off whenever an expression is removed. The removal can be by clicking the expression line and pressing the Delete key, or by right-clicking and selecting "Remove". Either way, all expressions have their Refresh setting reset to Off.

I don't know if this matters, but I'm using the J-Trace PRO Cortex-M.

I hope you can schedule this bug to be fixed. Thanks
    Dan
  • Hi Dan,

Thank you for your further descriptions.
    With them we were able to reproduce the issue and are working on a fix.
    It should be available with the next Ozone release planned this week.

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hi Dan,

Great to hear that you are up and running again.
    This thread will now be marked as solved.

Best regards,
    Nino