Device drivers vs. embOS

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Device drivers vs. embOS

I've got a more general question,

I've writen a large amount of device drivers (UART, SPI, CAN, etc...) in the past. All of them use there specific interrupt system (thru VIC) to get serviced in time. They are not writen with any OS in mind, they only use the compiler specific instructions to enable/disable the interrupts and push/pop the registers on stack.

If I want to utilize embOS as my main operating system, then what is the risk hence amount of work involved in doing so keeping in mind that I want to re-use most of my devices drivers.

Mvg.

ARMfreak
  • Basically you should be able to leave the interrupt service routines as they are.
    Only if these routines need to call embOS functions (such as OS_SignalEvent),
    they need small modifications; they need to comply with whatever the manual
    says for the processor you are using (sounds like an ARM7).
    The required changes for this type of ISR should not be major either.
    An easy way too see what needs to be done is to look at the tickhandler
    (usually in RTOSInit.c)
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.