[SOLVED] Unable to Secure chip on a EFM32LG

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Unable to Secure chip on a EFM32LG

I use the J-Link Flasher ARM in stand-alone mode like in UM08022 descriped. I use the "#AUTO" command via ethernet.

For me it is important to deactivate the read access after flashing the firmware. But in the stand-alone mode the flasher don't activates the lock bits.

If I test my config in the J-Flash tool with "Production Programming" everything works fine, but with the result cfg and dat file the securing works not.

Alternatively I try to set the byte by myself with the "Exit steps" options, same behavior. In the tool and via J-Link Terminal it is no problem.

It seems so that the #AUTO command stops always after verifying.
  • Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Autosecuring a device through the production programming option in standalone mode is currently not supported.
    We are looking to add this feature for future J-Flash versions.
    However you can do this by executing the necessary secure steps through the exit steps as you have tried.

The sequence you are using is incorrect. A project with the correct secure steps for that particular device is attached.
    Does that solve the issue?

Best regards,
    Nino
    Files
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Nino,

this works very well! Thank you!

One additional question. Have you also a Init-Sequence to Un-lock the Chip again (sometimes we need to update the devices), I know a Un-lock deletes the storage but this no problem.

Best regards,
    Julian
  • Hi Julian,

You should get an unlock prompt when trying to connect to a locked device.
    If you select yes this will trigger an unlock.
    Should you have pressed "no" and checked "do not ask me again" you need to delete the registry entry disabling the prompt.
    The following article describes this for Kinetis devices. For SiLabs devices it is the same procedure: wiki.segger.com/Secured_Kinetis_device_detected

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hello Nino,

Thank you for your answer!

yes I know with JLink it is possible to unlock the module. But in our production process it is possible that we have to unlock 50k pieces. I thought it would be easier to unlock the devices in the "Init steps" of my configuration file.

Best regards
    Julian
  • Hello Julian,

If you want to unlock a target device each time a locked one is detected you simply need to press away the prompt once selecting "Do not ask me again" and choosing "Yes".
    After that all following lock detection during the connect phase of J-Link will trigger a mass erase and you can reprogram the device immediately.
    Is that what you were looking for?

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hello Nino,

Sorry the circumstances, I described the problem very badly

In our production environment I use a TCP/IP connection to the Flasher and send the command "#auto" to start the process. The way you described is only possible if I use the JFlash tool, am I right? But I use the segger in standalone mode, and trigger only via TCP/IP connection the start.

If there is not other solution, it is no problem.

Best regards,
    Julian
  • Hello Julian,

Since J-Link software version V6.32 stand alone programming of secured EFM32 devices is supported.
    Quote from release notes: "Flasher: Silicon Labs EFM32 / EFR32 devices: Flasher did not support programming of secured devices in stand-alone mode. Fixed."

So simply updated your software to the latest version and you should be good to go.

Best regards,
    Nino