[SOLVED] J-Link Ver6.22a not working with LPC4370 anylonger

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] J-Link Ver6.22a not working with LPC4370 anylonger

HI there,

i started to have problem connecting to a LPC4370 with the newest firmware on my J-Link plus. J-Link commander and J-Flash both said that they cannot connect to the target. I downgraded the firmware on my J-Link plus to the one from J-Link 6.20i.
    Now i can work fine again with my LPC4370. However, J-Flash freezes for 5sek before it starts programming the QSPI flash. This is why i updated today. But then nothing worked anymore.

Does anyone else have a similar problem ?

Best,
    Hans
  • Hello Hans,

Thank you for your inquiry.
    Such an issue is not known to us.
    Are you using an eval board or custom hardware?
    Could you try connecting with the J-Link Commander and post a screenshot of the output for the working case and not working case?
    How is explained in the following article.
    wiki.segger.com/J-Link_cannot_connect_to_the_CPU

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi there,

in version 6.22a it just says: "could not connect to target" I attached the output of j-link commander in both cases. I use a custome hardware. But i have this for quite a while and i didn't had issues with my segger over quite some versions.
    In 6.20i it happens sometimes that the connection via usb times out the first time. I don't know what this is and its not always the case. But still i can connect and do everything :)

Best,
    Hans
    Files
    • 6.20i.txt

(1.95 kB, downloaded 315 times, last: )
    • 6.22a.txt

(1.04 kB, downloaded 312 times, last: )

The post was edited 1 time, last by hrb ().

• Hello Hans,

How are you powering your target device?
    Are you using J-Link for that?
    Because from the log files with the 6.20i you get 3.2V and with 6.22a 0.2 V.
    If so please check if "power on" is enabled when using V6.22a.

Best regards,
    Nino

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi again,

i quickly tested it. In 6.22a the jlink control panel shows, that my device has not enough power. Just 0.2V. But the device is correctly powered. Even if i turn on the powering from jlink it still shows 0.2V. But this basically shouldn't have an effect ?

Best,
    Hans
  • Hello Hans,

If you power the device externally then "power on" will make no difference.
    Can you measure the VTref Pin (Pin 1) with a multimeter and check what voltage you read there?
    Is it the same voltage J-Link is reading?

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hello Nino,

the VTref pin is always 3.25V when i measure it with a multimeter with both J-Link versions. But version 6.22a shows 0.2V in the readings. Seems like a small bug to me :)

Best,
    Hans

The post was edited 1 time, last by hrb ().

• Hello Hans,

Unfortunately not reproducible here so I doubt it is a software bug.
    Just tested it with a J-Link Plus V10 and J-Link Software V6.22a on Windows 7 and the commander always showed the correct voltage that gets applied to pin one (tried several values between 0-5 V and the 3.25 V like in your example).

What OS are you using J-Link on? Is it directly connected to the PC or over a USB hub?
    Could you try another PC and see if the issue persists?
    Could you please provide a screenshot of the commander output with the 0.2V displayed?

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hi Nino,

strange behaviour. I use Win10 1709. I connect my j-link plus v10 via an usb hub but this was never a problem. I also tested both hub/pc with 6.22a and it didn't worked. With 6.20i it works.
    I can try to use another pc tomorrow and make a screenshot of the commander.

Best,
    Hans
  • Hi Nino,

im sorry that it took me so long but i'm very busy at the moment. I didn't checked on another PC so far but i made some screenshots of my jlink with the different firmwares on the jlink plus. I also connected my jlink directly to my laptop this time.
    As you can see, whenever i have the 22a firmware installed on my jlink the voltage is not correctly measured.

Best,
    Hans
    Images
    • jlink20i_firmware20i.png

21.93 kB, 979×512, viewed 315 times
    • jlink20i_firmware22a.png

22.27 kB, 979×512, viewed 319 times
    • jlink22a_firmware20i.png

22.6 kB, 979×512, viewed 341 times
    • jlink22a_firmware22a.png

97.86 kB, 979×512, viewed 301 times
  • Hello Hans,

Thank you for providing the screenshots.
    I tried to reproduce the issue on a Windows 10 machine but without success.

Could you test if the issue persists with V6.22? You can get the version hereif you click on older versions.
    We found another issue with the V6.22a that might be related to the one you are seeing so we want to make sure they are actually related.

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hi Hans,

Ok great. This is a good indicator that it might be fixed with the latest version as well.
    When running your tests when it did not work, did you have multiple connections open to J-Link? For example multiple Commander instances or Commander + J-Flash etc.?
    Could you try out the newest version V6.22b which we released yesterday that hopefully should solve the issue?

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hi Nino,

i most of the time use one j-flash and debugging via the gdb server from gnu arm eclipse plugins. During the test i do i only use one jlink commander instance.

I also tested 6.22b and i still get the error. Screenshot attached.

Best,
    Hans
    Images
    • jlink22b_firmware22b.png

22.17 kB, 979×512, viewed 295 times
  • Hi Hans,

I also tested 6.22b and i still get the error. Screenshot attached.

Oh bother, so it seems to be something else.
    The problem is that we can't reproduce the behaviour in house whatsoever so it is tough to debug this issue without a debug setup on our side.

What makes me wonder is how did you give your J-Link Plus an IP address over DHCP?
    Did you actively change some configuration or how did that happen?
    If this is not your doing I suspect that the config area on the J-Link might be corrupted somehow.

Could you try to reset it by writing "resetconf" in the J-Link commander (without the quotation marks) when connected to your J-Link?
    After that power the J-Link off and on again.
    Does that change the behaviour?

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hi Nino,

you are right i also wonderd for some time why my jlink has an ip adress because it just has usb connection. But since everything worked i didn't really paid attention to that.
    Anyway "resetconf" fixed the problem :D

Attached is the screenshot where you can see that it is working with 6.22b right now.

Thanks so much for your help. Your support is really good at SEGGER.

Best,
    Hans
    Images
    • jlink22b_firmware22b.png

20.52 kB, 979×512, viewed 321 times
  • Hi Hans,

Great to hear that you are up and running again.

Thanks so much for your help. Your support is really good at SEGGER.

Thank you for the flowers ;)

So does that also solve your initial issue with connecting to the LPC?
    If so i would close the case.

Best regards,
    Nino

• Hi Hans,

Thank you for coming back to us.
    We will consider this case as solved now.

Best regards,
    Nino