Fail to connect to Segger J-Link Pro with Ethernet connection, using TCP/IP

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Any updates for me, Niklas?

That Segger's soft still cannot connect properly to the server running in tunneling mode: JLinkExe times out all the time, with the provided messages on the thread.

I tested without VPN.
  • Hi,

sorry for the delay in response.

So we established that the simple setup (J-Link PRO/PLUS, Remote Server, and Client (J-Link Commander) in one place works for you when trying from home, but the same simple setup does not work when trying from inside your company's network.
    This indicates that the issue is caused by the company's network / firewall. If this cannot be changed by your Administrator, would it make sense to give a Laptop + LTE a try?

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • SEGGER - Niklas wrote:

Hi,

sorry for the delay in response.

So we established that the simple setup (J-Link PRO/PLUS, Remote Server, and Client (J-Link Commander) in one place works for you when trying from home, but the same simple setup does not work when trying from inside your company's network.
    This indicates that the issue is caused by the company's network / firewall. If this cannot be changed by your Administrator, would it make sense to give a Laptop + LTE a try?

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Hi Niklas,
    Thanks for your reply, sorry only saw this now.
    Do you have any suggestions about what sort of network/firewall setup may affect this - the Segger's tunneling server? As this is just the out-going single TCP/IP pipe, going out to Segger' server (in Germany?)
    Also, would it be possible for Segger make a special JLinkExe / GDBServer build, with configurable or much longer timeouts?
    As you could see from errors I get, the functions in your code timeout prematurely, before receiving replies (which are long because of long delays over networks to the client I have).I feel that allowing to control those timeouts, or at least allow them to be much longer, may fix the issue.
  • Hello,

Do you have any suggestions about what sort of network/firewall setup may affect this - the Segger's tunneling server? As this is just the out-going single TCP/IP pipe, going out to Segger' server (in Germany?)

Hard to tell as we don't know your network/firewall setup.
    I suggest using Wireshark and see if the packets from your PC leave the company's outgoing connection and if the incoming stream is reaching your PC.

Also, would it be possible for Segger make a special JLinkExe / GDBServer build, with configurable or much longer timeouts?

Not planned as it was never supposed to be used for very remote connections. The current timeouts are already optimistically long.
    So currently no support for that.

As you could see from errors I get, the functions in your code timeout prematurely, before receiving replies (which are long because of long delays over networks to the client I have).I feel that allowing to control those timeouts, or at least allow them to be much longer, may fix the issue.

That might be true but then we would have customers that stretch the delays so far that other J-Link internal delays would trigger for debugging/programming etc. so the support requests would grow exponentially which is not worth it for us.

Please understand that this thread is reaching the boundaries of regular forum support.
    We can neither reproduce the issues you are seeing nor do we plan to make the remote server function more customizable as it was not intended to be used that way in the first place.
    So we will consider this case as closed.

Best regards,
    Nino
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.