[SOLVED] Problems with updating J-Link Firmware V6.16j

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] Problems with updating J-Link Firmware V6.16j

Hello,

today I installed the J-Link Software V6.16j and tried to update the firmware of the J-Link.
    But something does not work correctly.

I attached a screenshot of the Log-window.

I have to dis-/reconnect the J-Link after updating to detect it in again.
    The firmware info then still shows the old version number.

Anyone else experiences this problem?

Regards,
    Martin
  • Hi Martin,

there is no Firmware version number.
    What is the firmware string?
    It looks like this:
    Firmware: J-Link Pro V4 compiled Jul 24 2017 17:06:05

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Would you like to be added to the J-Link software update notification list, so you get informed automatically when a new version becomes available?
    Just write me a PM or in case you want to subscribe to it yourself, please use this link: Link
    Notification for J-Link, J-Link Debugger, SystemView & J-Scope: Link
    Notification for Embedded Studio: Link
  • Hi Martin,

The firmware info then still shows the old version number.

Could you post a screenshot showing what you are referring to with "version number"?

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Would you like to be added to the J-Link software update notification list, so you get informed automatically when a new version becomes available?
    Just write me a PM or in case you want to subscribe to it yourself, please use this link: Link
  • Hi,

please don't get this wrong - I just wanted to be sure that we are talking about the same thing.
    I had many inquiries where J-Link software version number and firmware string have been confused.

What happens if you open J-Link commander(jlink.exe) and accept the firmware update?
    Does it fail every time?

Best regards,
    Niklas
  • Hi Niklas,

no problem, speaking about the same things is important.

The Log Window (which is shown during the update process) shows exactly the same as in my screenshot, when using the J-Link Commander.
    The J-Link commander window shows this:

Source Code

1. SEGGER J-Link Commander V6.16j (Compiled Jul 24 2017 18:42:58)
    2. DLL version V6.16j, compiled Jul 24 2017 18:42:23
    3. Connecting to J-Link via USB...Updating firmware: J-Link Pro V4 compiled Jul 24 2017 17:06:05
    4. Replacing firmware: J-Link Pro V4 compiled Jul 10 2017 15:44:26
    5. Waiting for new firmware to boot
    6. FAILED: Communication timed out: Requested 4 bytes, received 0 bytes !
    7. Could not read J-Link capabilities.
    8. J-Link>

Best regards,
    Martin
  • Hi Martin,

could you please give it a try using another PC (Windows/Linux/macOS is OK) and another USB-Cabel while having the J-Link connected directly to the machine, with no HUB etc in between?

Best regards,
    Niklas
  • Hi Niklas,

I found the issue.
    The J-LInk was connected via a "J-Link USB Isolator".
    After removing the isolator the update went fine.
    It seems, that the J-Link update process does not like the isolator.

Is this a known limitation, that the isolator may not be connected during a firmware update?

Best regards,
    Martin
  • Hi Martin,

Is this a known limitation, that the isolator may not be connected during a firmware update?

Yes, this is a know limitation.
    I am sorry that I did not think of the possibility that you are using a J-Link USB Isolator.

Best regards,
    Niklas