[ABANDONED] FRDM-K22F - Error message with ozone

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] FRDM-K22F - Error message with ozone

Hello,

I have a problem with my FRDM-K22F Evaluation board. When I’m trying to debug with Ozone I get always this Messages

J-Link: Executing InitTarget()
    J-Link: Connect Under Reset
    J-Link: Executing InitTarget()
    J-Link: InitTarget(): PCode returned with error code -1
    This interface is not supported by the connected emulator.
    Selection will be ignored by the DLL.

Connection failed

It doesn’t matter if I’m using the onboard JTAG adapter (flashed with the JLINK Open SDA Firmware) or if I’m using an external JLINK-Adapter (and powered the FRDM-Board with the K22-usb-connector). With Both Adapters I’m getting the same Error Message. I tried also SWD and JTAG as a target Interface. Makes no difference

What does the error-Message mean? How can I solve it?

Thanks and regards

Markus

The post was edited 1 time, last by Masmiseim ().

• Hi Markus,

sorry for the delay in response.
    Which version of Ozone / the J-Link DLL are you using?
    Can you connect to the target with the lastest J-Link Commmander (V6.16e?)

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Niklas,

I’m using Ozone in Version 2.42. I’m not sure which JLINK driver Version is used, as I have installed several versions in parallel. I have uninstalled all Versions except the newest available (6.16f). But I have still the same error.
    What I have to mention, the debug connection has worked once, and after this, I’m not able to start the debugger again. Maybe I have brickted my Board by debugging it.

I’m not familiar with the J-Link Commmander, but it looks like it is also not working. Am I usig the correct command?

Thanks and Regards
    Markus

SEGGER J-Link Commander V6.16f (Compiled Jul 3 2017 15:58:03)
    DLL version V6.16f, compiled Jul 3 2017 15:57:26

Connecting to J-Link via USB...O.K.
    Firmware: J-Link OpenSDA 2 compiled Feb 28 2017 19:27:57
    Hardware version: V1.00
    S/N: 621000000
    VTref = 3.300V

Type "connect" to establish a target connection, '?' for help
    J-Link>connect CORTEX-M4
    Please specify device / core. <Default>: CORTEX-M4
    Type '?' for selection dialog
    Device>CORTEX-M4
    Please specify target interface:
    J) JTAG (Default)
    S) SWD
    TIF>s
    Specify target interface speed [kHz]. <Default>: 4000 kHz
    Speed>4000
    Device "CORTEX-M4" selected.

Connecting to target via SWD
    Found SW-DP with ID 0x2BA01477
    Could not power-up debug power domain.
    Scanning APs, stopping at first AHB-AP found.

****** Error: Could not find AHB-AP to communicate with Cortex-M core.
    Cannot connect to target.
    J-Link>
  • Hello Niklas,

My second Board is also not working anymore. Same behavior, it stopped working after a debug session. The software to debug crashed at some point, and ended up with a board which does to respond to the debugger anymore.
    I had a similar behavior some time ago with TI Stellaris controller. TI had provided a tool to get the controller working again; with normal JTAG-Adapters you couldn’t gat any access.

Regards

Markus
  • Hi Markus,

J-Link>connect CORTEX-M4

The "connect" command does not accept any parameter.

Please specify device / core. <Default>: CORTEX-M4

Please specify the device, not only the core.
    On the frdm K22F is a "K22FN512VLH12" device.

What is the output of J-Link Commander if the device is specified?

Best regards,
    Niklas

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hello Niklas,

Are you sure with the device-string? I’m getting an error with it (see the picture attached)

Regards

Markus
    Images
    • j-Link Error.png

28.46 kB, 669×508, viewed 644 times
    • j-Link Error 2.png

30.45 kB, 668×667, viewed 587 times
  • Hi Markus,

sorry for the typo.
    Please give MK22FN512VLH12 a try.

Best regards,
    Niklas

• Hi Markus,

My second Board is also not working anymore. Same behavior, it stopped working after a debug session. The software to debug crashed at some point, and ended up with a board which does to respond to the debugger anymore.

This sounds like the target application leads to a state where J-Link cannot connect to the target device, for example low power modes, disabling / alternate use of the debug pins, etc...
    The designated fallback in this case is to use the reset pin and to perform a connect under reset, which is what J-Link attempts to do according to the log output, but the procedure fails.

Could you please check if the reset pin is connected?
    What kind of target application or you trying to debug?
    Would it be possible for you to provide us with a target application which could be used for reproduction purposes?

Best regards,
    Niklas

• Hello Niklas,

the FRDM-K22F board has a red LED which signals the state of the reset line. And it is flickering while the jlink is trying to connect. In addition you can hold the reset line manually high with pushing the SW1 Bumper. I have done so (with the OpenSDA Interface and in a second try with an external JLink) with the same negative result.
    -->The Reset line seems to work, but it doesn’t lead to any success.

You are right; the controller seems to be in a state where the J-Link can’t access. I think it is related with the clocking system. I had made some changes there and while testing them, the controller got stuck. I haven’t this particular code anymore, and I don’t want to force it and brick an additional board. But I could send you one of my boards if it would help.

Regards

Markus
    Images
    • FRDM-K22F Reset.png

35.69 kB, 596×293, viewed 513 times
  • Hi Markus,

I haven’t this particular code anymore

That is very unfortunate.

But I could send you one of my boards if it would help.

If you send us a board, we will take a look at it.
    Please note that we can not guarantee for any success, since we really do not know what happened, so there is not much we can do if we do not find a way to communicate with the target in our lab.

Best regards,
    Niklas

• Hi Markus,

I took a look at your board today.
    Unfortunately, we are reading 0x00000000 form the MDM-AP Status register.
    We have never seen this before. The MDM-AP Status register is always readable if the interface is available,
    except on this board, since 0x00000000 is not a valid value.

After requesting a mass erase, any further communication fails.

I haven’t this particular code anymore, , and I don’t want to force it and brick an additional board

Can you provide us with a binary (e.g. hex, mot, elf, out,...) file?
    I can test if it breaks on of our boards...

Best regards,
    Niklas

• Sorry for the late response I was out of the office.

Sadly, I don’t have any code or binary’s left from this scenario.

Right now a colleague had a similar problem with a different controller (KV11). He had flashed a binary which was compiled for a different derivate (K02 I think). Ending up with a controller which had the same behavior as mine bevor.
    When I had brickt my board I was also switching between different Kinetis-controllers. Maybe I had done the same mistake.
    I had done this mistake also in the past, but I had never bricked a controller with it. I could always erase and flash it again. Maybe that’s why I’m not as careful as I should with this.

I will try to get some old boards next week and try to brick them.

Thanks and regards

Markus
  • Hi Markus,

I just noticed that we still have you hardware here.
    Were you able to duplicate the behavior on another board?
    Once we have a reproduce, we can investigate this here and check if we can improve the J-Link software somehow to handle this case.
    However, please note that depending on the data programmed to the option bytes, there is no chance to recover the device (e.g. in case of security is enabled and erase command is disabled).

Best regards
    Erik