[solved] J-Link doesnt connect in Embedded Studio

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [solved] J-Link doesnt connect in Embedded Studio

Hi

I try to make my first steps with ARMs. At first, I wanna programm a Nucleoboard from ST with ST32F446. The Nucleo has the ST-Link but I dont wanna use the J-Link EDU.

Now I connected the Nucleo with the J-Link like here described here:
    mcuoneclipse.com/2015/08/22/de…-with-with-segger-j-link/

But it doesnt work. The J-Link is marked as "present", but there are no connection. As I tested J-Link first, ES tried to update the firmware and aborted this. The Explore-Window doesnt show anything what looks like J-Link.

Can anyone help me?
  • Hi,

could you please give J-Link Commander a try?
    J-Link commander is part of the J-Link software package, which is available free of charge here .

• Start J-Link Commander (jlink.exe)
    • Type "connect" in order to start a debug session
    • Type in the target device name if asked (Or type "?" for a target selection Dialog)
    • Choose the correct target interface (JTAG/SWD/etc..)
    • Use a valid speed (Default: 4000kHz, try 100-500 if default does not work)
    • [JTAG only]JTAG conf can be default(most of the times)
    • You should now be successfully connected.
    If anything fails, could you post a screenshot of the complete session?

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thanks for your answer. :)

Well, I tried the jlink.exe a couple of times, even with standard values. No reaction, no connection.

Now, I tried it with 100kHz interface speed, and it seems to work. Look at screenshot:

Its strange, now it works also with 4000kHz. (Only with my hole grid adapter, the wire mess doesnt. Ok, it would be surprising if it works at this frequenzy.)

But Embedded Studio resume to deny every collaboration...
  • Hi,

Could you provide a J-Link log file from starting the debug session in Embedded Studio?
    (It can be set in Project Properties -> J-Link Options -> J-Link Log File)

Did you make sure target device and interface speed are set in Embedded Studio, too?

Best regards
    Johannes

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• It can be set in Project Properties -> J-Link Options -> J-Link Log File
    Aha...there are the settings for the debugging device. I searched them somewhere in the target menue. So yesterday I adjust the right controller (some other STM32 was set, don't no why, Im sure that I choosed the right when I created the project) and some other things-and no it seems to work. There are some red windows at first time, but the second try was succesfull. J-Link stopped the blink-blink-standardprogramm from Nucleo, and ES shows a connection with the target.

I attached a logfile...there are some errors or should I change some settings?
    Im really glad that J-Link run now, it lets me sleep better...thanks. :)
    Files
    • J-Link Log.txt

(48.16 kB, downloaded 1,031 times, last: )

The post was edited 1 time, last by White_Fox ().

• Good to read it is working now.

From the log file everything looks good so far.
    We recommend setting a fixed target interface speed (J-Link Options -> Speed),
    'best possible' sets it to 2000 kHz, 4000 kHz or even higher should work, too.

Regards
    Johannes

• Hi

Now I tried to get seriously with the first project (hardware development went ahead).
    I got the same problem with every new project/solution: No connection between J-Link and CPU.

It must reasoning in some project settings, but I cant find them. jlink.exe runs, read from the STM32, recognized the M4 correctly and gives no errors. If I open the old solution (which I used in first postings), it runs also.
    But in every new project, J-Link denied every cooperation. I compared the debugger-settings in both projects but cant find a different.

Are there any typical known problems with new users which I stumble over?

By the way?
    I used the STM32F4xx-Package to create my project.
    There are ay manuals for embedded studio? I couldnt find anything like this at the internet page.
    Files
    • J-Link Log.txt

(5.74 kB, downloaded 942 times, last: )

The post was edited 1 time, last by White_Fox ().

• Hi,

Did you do any configuration in the project?
    The target interface speed is set to 1 kHz, which is really slow.
    Additionally it looks like the connection is unstable, this could be a result of timeouts due to the low speed.

Can you try again with at least 100 kHz?

The documentation is available within Embedded Studio and as a pdf at segger.com/downloads/embeddedstudio

Regards
    Johannes

• Well...I builded a new J-Link-adapter for the Nucleoboard. The old connector was faulty. Now it works fine.

I thougt if JLink-Commander works, Embedded Studio must also do...thanks for the idea with unstable connection. :)
  • Good to read it is working now.

J-Link Commander doesn't communicate much with the target,
    so therefore it might have gone undetected with J-Link Commander.

Best regards
    Johannes