[ABANDONED] Atmel SAM-ICE

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [ABANDONED] Atmel SAM-ICE

Greetings
    I have an ATSAM4SD32B development board and an Atmel SAM-ICE JTAG cable, which I understand is built by Segger. Right? I am trying to figure out why I get VTref of zero. How can I troubleshoot this please? Enclosed are captions of before and after connecting the JTAG to the development board. Both devices are connected to my laptop via two different USB ports.
    Images
    • before.png

47.39 kB, 677×342, viewed 601 times
    • after.png

35.84 kB, 677×342, viewed 611 times
  • Hi,

I am not sure if understand you correctly, but VTref is only measured and shown once a connection to a J-Link is opened.
    Therefore, you need to connect the target to the J-Link prior to starting J-Link Commander.

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • @Niklas- Thank you so much for the reply. That is what I was trying to get across by posting the before and after pictures. I meant to say that one of the pics was before I connected the JTAG to the board, and the other was after.

Do you mean that I have to issue the connect command? Please have a look at the pics; the one labeled after shows that I issued the connect command. I just do not know what to put in after the last prompt. I don't know what it means. Here is a capture of the session:

Source Code

1. SEGGER J-Link Commander V5.10o (Compiled Feb 25 2016 18:51:37)DLL version V5.10o, compiled Feb 25 2016 18:50:59
    2. Connecting to J-Link via USB...O.K.Firmware: J-Link ARM V8 compiled Aug 26 2015 15:08:21Hardware version: V8.00S/N: 28023138License(s): RDI, GDBOEM: SAM-ICEEmulator has Trace capabilityVTref = 0.000V
    3. Type "connect" to establish a target connection, '?' for helpJ-Link>connectPlease specify device / core. <Default>: ATSAM4SD32BType '?' for selection dialogDevice>Please specify target interface: J) JTAG (Default) S) SWDTIF>JDevice position in JTAG chain (IRPre,DRPre) <Default>: -1,-1 => Auto-detectJTAGConf>

Thank you so much.

The post was edited 3 times, last by shahin ().

• Hi,

the last prompt asks you the specify the position of the target device in the JTAG chain by entering IRPre and DRPre.
    If you only have one device in the chain, just pressing "enter" will do.
    The "connect" command tells the J-Link to connect to the target (= starting a debug session).

If you want to measure VTref again before connecting, just type "usb" instead of "connect".

Best regards,
    Niklas

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Thank you so much. I did what you said, and I still get zero for voltage. Here is the output...

Source Code

1. Device position in JTAG chain (IRPre,DRPre) : -1,-1 => Auto-detectJTAGConf>Specify target interface speed [kHz]. : 4000 kHzSpeed>Device "ATSAM4SD32B" selected.
    2. Can not connect to target.J-Link>usbDisconnecting from J-Link...O.K.Disconnecting from J-Link...O.K.Connecting to J-Link via USB...O.K.Firmware: J-Link ARM V8 compiled Aug 26 2015 15:08:21Hardware version: V8.00S/N: 28023138License(s): RDI, GDBOEM: SAM-ICEEmulator has Trace capabilityVTref = 0.000VDevice "ATSAM4SD32B" selected.
    3. Can not connect to target.J-Link>

I have to mention that I was told to measure the voltage across the JTAG pins. So I did it, and pins 1 and 2 show a zero voltage. I am really new to this domain, I was told that I may have damaged the board given that there is no voltage on those pins. I have attached a schematic of the pins from the board's user manual. My question is how do I know for sure that the board is damaged? I have opened a ticket with Atmel, who made the board, and waiting for their response at this point. My board also has a mini JTAG, which I do not have the converter for. What is your advice at this point? I am going to purchase another board if this is damaged, but I like to know for sure. Is there any way to repair the board?
    Images
    • Untitled10.png

12.45 kB, 1,021×499, viewed 519 times
    • 20160301_181734.jpg

94.84 kB, 826×465, viewed 573 times
  • Hi,

please understand that we cannot offer support for non SEGGER-Products like the board. I cannot tell you whether its broken or how to repair it.
    You confirmed that VTref = 0.00V by using an external tool (e.g. Voltmeter), therefore I assume your issue is not J-Link related.
    Regarding on why VTref could be 0.00V: Could be anything: Wrong power supply, broken device / board, wrong jumper settings.....
    My board also has a mini JTAG, which I do not have the converter for. What is your advice at this point?

I would suggest to measure VTref on the mini JTAG using a Voltmeter.

Is this the board you are using?: atmel.com/Images/Atmel-8528-TP…lopment-Kit-UserGuide.pdf

Best regards,
    Niklas