Using J-Trace with Embedded Studio to debug code developed in Creator IDE

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Using J-Trace with Embedded Studio to debug code developed in Creator IDE

I am developing an app in the Cypress Creator IDE and I want to use J-Trace to debug it. I am using GCC to build it and the output from Creator is an Elf map file and ".o" object files. I can't seem to figure out if it is possible to use Embedded Studio to load the app to do debug and trace. I tried a few different Open's of the files but never end up with anything that is debug-able. Is this possible to do?
    Edit: In a related question, if the above is indeed possible then is the Segger website correct that Embedded Studio can use the Trace capability of a J-Trace?

The post was edited 1 time, last by tmostad ().

• Hi,

Embedded Studio is not really designed to debug output files of 3rd party IDEs, however as it is GCC, it should work.
    If you are compiling/building with one tool and just want to debug with another one, J-Link Debugger might be the right choice for you:
    segger.com/j-link-debugger.html

Both, J-Link Debugger as well as Embedded Studio support the tracing features of J-Trace.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • J-Link Debugger

At first glance it looks like the J-Link Debugger might do the job. Cypress Creator's outputted ELF from my application loaded just fine and I am able to do debug. I need to understand how to use the trace capability better and I will play with it until I come up with some informed questions.
    It wasn't included as part of the J-Trace for Cortex-M as it appears to be for some of your other probes. I can't find a place on your site to purchase it. Is it for sale as an add-on to my J-Trace?