Some questions about SystemView

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Some questions about SystemView

Hello,

I recently evaluated SystemView tool with FreeRTOS. It looks really promising. Thanks for making this tool free!
    I have some questions about SystemView and will be glad if someone from Segger could answer them.

1) Knowing the existance of embOSView tool, which also has support for UART/Ethernet communication alternatives,
    Is there a plan to add alternate communication ports to SystemView?

2) Instead of using RTT feature of J-Link debug probes, Is it possible to use ITM debug buffers of Cortex-M microcontrollers?
    Which will make the tool more generic. When I check RTT statistics from J-Link Control Panel, I see 5-6 KB/s realtime transfer throughput.
    Is it really necessary to tie SystemView tool to J-link debug probes?

3) Is there a plan to add thread stack usage information within SystemView?

Finally, thanks for this great tool, i am planing to actively use it on our upcoming project.
    Regards

The post was edited 1 time, last by ayildirim ().

• Hi,

Thanks for the great feedback.

Communication alternatives might be available in the future.

The downside of using UART/Ethernet and the ITM Buffers (SWO) is,
    that the data has to be actively sent by the application, which is way more intrusive than simply writing into a RAM buffer.
    RTT is the least intrusive way of instrumentation.

Stack usage might be available in the future, too.
    But same here:
    Checking how much stack is free by the application can be more intrusive, too, and influences the system timing.

Best regards
    Johannes
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.