Support for HiMax HX8369?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Adrian,

I understand that I would use this:
    pDevice = GUI_DEVICE_CreateAndLink(GUIDRV_FLEXCOLOR, GUICC_565, 0, 0);

However, which driver do I select here?
    GUIDRV_FlexColor_SetFunc(pDevice, &PortAPI, GUIDRV_FLEXCOLOR_F66708, GUIDRV_FLEXCOLOR_M16C0B16);

I am currently using the above driver with the display that comes with the STM3220G-EVAL evaluation board but I'm wanting to move to this larger 480x800 4.3" diagonal LCD display:
    newhavendisplay.com/specs/NHD-4.3-480800EF-CTXP.pdf

With this controller chip:
    newhavendisplay.com/app_notes/HX8369.pdf

For our project we eventually plan to move to a 4-bit grayscale ePaper display with approximately the same resolution. Ideally, I would also like to only store 4 bits per pixel grayscale to reduce RAM requirements for my GUI even though this nice fancy display supports up to 16.7M colors. Is there a nice way to accomplish that as well? What I mean to say is that I am developing a user interface on this display that only needs 4 bit grayscale so I don't want to have the RAM hit for image buffers that would be required to support a full 480x800 16.7M color display.

-Scott

The post was edited 2 times, last by smorgan ().

• Adrian,

The datasheet for the Himax HX8369 shows that for operation code 2C (RAMWR) there are 3 8-bit data writes when writing pixels to the display memory. The data sheet for the HX8357 shows only a single 8-bit write for that same operation. When I use this:

GUIDRV_FlexColor_SetFunc(pDevice, &PortAPI, GUIDRV_FLEXCOLOR_F66709, GUIDRV_FLEXCOLOR_M16C0B16);

The graphics I am displaying is shown in triplicate -- in other words I am seeing three side-by-side images and the color rendering is not correct.

Which FLEXCOLOR driver should I being using with the HX8369?

-Scott

The post was edited 1 time, last by smorgan ().

• Hello Scott,

Please note that GUIDRV_FlexColor supports only 16bpp and 18bpp. In particular the supported modes are described in the section 32.7.4 "Display drivers" -> "Detailed display driver descriptions" -> "GUIDRV_FlexColor" in the emWin user manual.

From my point of view we currently do not have an emWin display driver which would support the Himax HX8369 at a color depth of 4bpp.

Please note that additional RAM is required only in case you are going to use a display driver cache. The actual frame buffer is included in the HX8369.

Best regards,
    Adrian
  • Ok, but which FlexColor driver should I use?

I tried this and this does not function properly:
    GUIDRV_FlexColor_SetFunc(pDevice, &PortAPI, GUIDRV_FLEXCOLOR_F66709, GUIDRV_FLEXCOLOR_M16C0B16);

The GUIDRV_FLEXCOLOR_F66709 is for the HX8357. If you look at the RAMWR operation for the HX8357 is only has 8 bits of data. The HX8359 RAMWR operation requires 3 8-bit data writes.

-Scott
  • Hello Scott,

You will have to pass the operation macro M16CxB8 to the function GUIDRV_FlexColor_SetFunc() in order to properly drive the HX8357 at 16bpp over an 8 bit bus. A description of the operation modes can be found in the chapter "Display drivers" in the emWin user manual.

Best regards,
    Adrian
  • Adrian,

I have successfully implemented my own driver for the HX8369 based off a template driver example I found on the internet after much experimentation. I don't think any of your drivers are suitable for the HX8369 since its command set is different than the other Himax parts that are in the supported driver list. I set the part into a 5-6-5 RGB 16 bit per pixel mode and I'm using a 16 bit wide data interface to the part. When I want to draw a bitmap I just set the drawing window using the CASET (0x2A) command and PASET(0x2B) command and then I issue the RAMWR (0x2C) command followed by the 16bit 5-6-5 RGB pixel values. To match the emWin pixel format to the pixel format used by the HX8369 I am using the GUICC_M565 format:

// GUICC_M565 RRRRRGGGGGGBBBBB to match format used by display
    pDevice = GUI_DEVICE_CreateAndLink(GUIDRV_HX8369, GUICC_M565, 0, 0);

One thing that's not quite working right is when I turn on the arrow cursor using GUI_CURSOR_Show(); and then move it across the screen (I have a touchscreen) it leaves behind a trail of black arrows (rather than the background image that should be shown) and occasionally the screen will repaint and that trail goes away. Do you have any idea which operation in my driver may not be working correctly based on what emWin does when moving that cursor?

I set a breakpoint inside this code within my driver so that I could see when small rectangular regions on the display are being repainted:
    static inline void _DrawBitmap16BPP(GUI_DEVICE *pDevice, int x0, int y0, int width, int height, int stride, U16 const GUI_UNI_PTR *pData)
    After pressing my touchscreen I see that the cursor is slowly painted in its new location and cleared out of its old location on the display using a sequence of _DrawBitmap16BPP() calls. I don't see any drawing flaws as I run through the drawing procedure which looks to update only one horizontal row of the arrow at a time -- one call to this function draws a horizontal row of the cursor in the new location and the next call undraws the cursor at its old location to reveal the correct background image. So I guess what I'm saying is that _DrawBitmap16BPP() looks to be doing what it is supposed to. So when I drag my finger across the display I'm not sure why I'm seeing a trail of black arrows? I didn't see this behavior on the display that used the ili9325 display controller IC so I'm guessing I have done something wrong in my driver for the Hx8369.

-Scott

The post was edited 5 times, last by smorgan ().

• Hello Scott,

Please note that the command set of the HX8369 equals the command sets of all supported display controllers which are grouped in the 66709 function of the GUIDRV_FlexColor.

// GUICC_M565 RRRRRGGGGGGBBBBB to match format used by display
    pDevice = GUI_DEVICE_CreateAndLink(GUIDRV_HX8369, GUICC_M565, 0, 0);
    How do you plan to use the 4bpp grayscale display?

Please verify the reading capability of your driver/display controller.

Best regards,
    Adrian
  • Don't worry about the 4bit grayscale that's something I will take on later to reduce RAM usage if necessary. For now I'm going to use the display with 16-bit color.

I am using this code in my LCD_X_Config() but see nothing painting on the display:

// configure FlexColor driver for HX8369
    GUI_PORT_API PortAPI = {0};

// Set display driver and color conversion
    pDevice = GUI_DEVICE_CreateAndLink(GUIDRV_FLEXCOLOR, GUICC_M565, 0, 0);
    // Give driver access to the functions
    PortAPI.pfWrite16_A0 = lcdWriteReg;
    PortAPI.pfWrite16_A1 = lcdWriteData;
    PortAPI.pfWriteM16_A1 = lcdWriteMultipleData;
    PortAPI.pfReadM16_A1 = lcdReadMultipleData;

I have attached my files so you can see what I'm doing. I know you don't have one of my displays there but is there something I'm obviously doing wrong to make use of the FLEXCOLOR driver with this display? When I use my own driver (HX8369_FSMC.c/HS8369_FSMC.h) the display is functional but when I move the cursor arrow around the touchscreen it leaves behind black arrow droppings. I'm not sure if maybe I don't have enough memory allocated -- I have only configured for 600kB in GUIConf.c.

Appreciate any advice you can provide on this as I would really rather make use of the FLEXCOLOR driver if I can get it working.
    Files
    • files.zip

(14.44 kB, downloaded 547 times, last: )
  • Hello,

I would recommend you to verify the hardware access functions to work properly. Also I am not sure if this might cause a problem, but the emWin user manual states that there is another read function required for the GUIDRV_FlexColor to work.

Best regards,
    Adrian