Difference between -ir and target reset ( monitor reset)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Difference between -ir and target reset ( monitor reset)

Hi All,

I am just confused about the difference between jlinkGDBServer "-ir" option and monitor reset command. Are both of these equivalent ? So if I invoke JLinkGDBServer with -ir option then do I need to explicitly issue a "monitor reset" command in my gdbinit file ?

Thanks,
    Bunny.
  • Hi bunny,
    jlinkGDBServer "-ir"
    This command is deprecated and should not be used. It just sets all registers to zero, which under some circumstances leads to similar effects as a reset , but it was never designed and should not be used for this purpose.
    "monitor reset"
    Resets and halts the target CPU. Should be used prior using the loadfile command.
    For further information, please take a look at the J-Link User Guide(UM8001) Chapter 3.3 "J-Link GDB Server", Section 3 "Supported remote (monitor) commands".

Best regards,
    Niklas
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thanks for the info. I don't know why I am running into problems when I do monitor reset on an nxp lpc54102 prior to loading my application. Doing a continue or step afterward gives a hard fault.
    If I don't do a monitor reset then everything works fine. Thats why I was forced to use -ir command instead of monitor reset . I am using v4.98a of JLinkGDBServer.
    If I am correct then uptil jlink GDBServer v4.97l -ir was enabled by default......

Please can u tell me, if I am doing something wrong.....

I will try to attach jlink log file as well