Keep debugging on software reset and connect to running target

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Keep debugging on software reset and connect to running target

Hello there,

There are two things I haven't been able to do with my JLink + Cortex M4.

1) When I do a software reset debugging stops at the first program address and no matter what I do it is stuck there forever. I would like to be able to do software resets while debugging.

2) For long-running testing usually leave some devices running for weeks, so I can check they don lock and work as expected. When a device locks, I would like to connect a JLink and connect a GDB session without resseting and without loosing where the execution was, so I can check where it is and why it is stuck there.

Does someone know how I should do this?

Best regards,
  • It depends on your debugging environment.
    As a matter of fact, you should consult them.

But the Jlink is capable of attaching to a running target,
    In the IAR for eclipse plugin for example you have something like you see in my attachment.
    Images
    • 2014-09-15 15_58_59-Debug Configurations.png

8.44 kB, 510×226, viewed 1,809 times
  • Hi,

As rigomate already wrote, it is depending on your setup.
    I assume that you are using a GDB based setup.

to 1)
    Sounds a bit like your debugger has setup vector catch on reset in the DEMCR [VC_CORERESET].
    If this bit is set, the CPU will halt, immediately after a reset of the core has been done.

to 2)
    By default, J-Link + GDB Server do *not* reset the device on connect. J-Link GDB Serveronly performs a reset if a "monitor reset" command is performed or a GDB 'r' or 'R' packet is received.
    If GDB sends these packets: We have no influence on this.

- Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Yes, I am using GDB. Even if I not use the Eclipse debugger it does the same. For example, yesterday I just connected to the board using JLinkExe, I did a reset and 'g' to make it run. If by chance it does a software reset the CPU halts at the initial address and I can't get it to step or do anything, I have to restart everything.

I tried doing:

WR_REG(CoreDebug->DEMCR, CoreDebug_DEMCR_VC_CORERESET_Msk, CoreDebug_DEMCR_VC_CORERESET_Pos, 0);

at the start of the main function, in hope that this would make the next reset not halt, but it happens all the same.

I am testing now like this:

C Source Code

1. int main(){ WR_REG(CoreDebug->DEMCR, CoreDebug_DEMCR_VC_CORERESET_Msk, CoreDebug_DEMCR_VC_CORERESET_Pos, 0); SCB->AIRCR = ((0x5FA << SCB_AIRCR_VECTKEY_Pos) & SCB_AIRCR_VECTKEY_Msk) | SCB_AIRCR_SYSRESETREQ_Msk; while(1);}

The moment it does the reset it gets stuck @ 0x08000200 which is where the reset vector points in my case. I understand this is at least not totally JLink related but can you please help me?

Best regards,