RTT with IAR and eclipse

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• RTT with IAR and eclipse

Hello,

I am trying to use RTT in the following setup:
    • IAR for ARM 7.0
    • Eclipse Juno
    • Eclipse plugin for IAR
    • J-Link software V4.90d (Hosted by CSpyServer.exe)

The problem is that J-Link cannot find the control block automatically. If I set the address manually it works.

Using IAR workbench RTT works right away.
    Being able to use RTT with eclipse would really be a big simplification of our workflow.
    Has anybody experienced the same problem or an idea where to look for solutions?

Kind regards,
    Volker
  • J Link do it automatically. Only when you do big change in project (adress of RTT structure will change) you need restart connection with jlink.
    First check RTT in JLink Control Panel.

The post was edited 1 time, last by tadzik85 ().

• I am using Linux so no control panel for me. Is there any command-line falg for the GDB server?

I did not want to hijack this topic, just wanted to chime in because it doesn't work automatically for me and I would like to know what I should do manually.

Best regards,
  • Hi,

I agree that the documentation might not be optimal at this point...
    We will work on this.

To crimsomshadow:
    To manually set the address of the RTT block, add this to the gdbinit:
    monitor exec SetRTTAddr 0x...

Please note that it is recommended to perform this, after the application has run to main, so the segment init is done.
    Otherwise, the address where the RTT block will be copied to by the startup code, will contain random data.

VolkerG:
    That's strange... we will check if we can reproduce this here, but I would expect that it works, no matter if EWARM is used with or without Eclipse...

- Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi,

We are currently working on a new command, that will allow the user to specify a "search area" in which J-Link will look for the RTT block.
    This especially makes sense for new devices where J-Link does not know the RAM address yet or for devices with multiple RAM areas where not all ones are known to J-Link.
    Specifying an area should also make sure that even if the address slightly changes, the block can always be found.

- Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.