Programming External Flash with J-Link Flash ARM (AT29LV040A and LPC2294)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Programming External Flash with J-Link Flash ARM (AT29LV040A and LPC2294)

Hello,

I have a project that is using a LPC2294 microcontroller as well as four AT29LV040A external memory chips. I have been using Rowley CrossStudio with a J-Link adapter to program the chips, but I'd like to use the J-Link ARm Flash programmer in the future. I've been trying to get this to work, but I haven't had much luck.

I set the project to the LPC2294_PhyCORE project that uses external flash, and then changed the external flash to the AT29LV040A chips. When I try to connect, though, I get the following error:

Source Code

1. - Connecting via USB to J-Link device 0
    2. - J-Link firmware: V1.20 (J-Link ARM V6 compiled Aug 28 2007 19:22:02)
    3. - Using adaptive clocking instead of fixed JTAG speed
    4. - Initializing CPU core (Init sequence) ...
    5. - Initialized successfully
    6. - Using adaptive clocking instead of fixed JTAG speed
    7. - J-Link found 1 JTAG device. Core ID: 0x4F1F0F0F (ARM7)
    8. - ERROR: Identify: Unsupported flash type / bus width (140800). Please contact info@segger.com
    9. - ERROR: Unable to identify Flash
    10. - ERROR: Failed to connect

One thing I noticed is that the Project settings for the AT29LV040A list the size at 512KB and the sectors as 512, but in the datasheet for the device, it is listed as being a 4MB chip with 2048 sectors of 256 bytes.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Also, somewhat unrelated, but is it possible to use the J-Link ARM Flash program to load both internal and external flash with the same project?

Thanks,

Andy
  • Hello Andy,

Do you have connected your four NOR flashes parallelly (1 CS, each flash occupies 8bits of the 32 data bus) or serially (only 8bit data bus is used, 1st chip is addressed through 0x000000-0x07FFFF, 2nd chip 0x080000-0x0FFFFF, etc., or different CS).

Indeed you're right, the flash AT29LV040A is wrongly listed. We will change this in the next release.
    Regarding the "unsupported flash type / bus width" error message, we get in touch with you via PM/Email.

Regards,

Souhail
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.