J-Link v9 and MPLABX

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hi,

J-Link support has been added in MPLAB X V2.15 (which is not the final version, since PIC32MZ support is also going to be added etc.).
    Please note that GDBServer is *not* necessary to use J-Link in MPLAB X. MPLAB X supports J-Link natively.

GDBServer allows using J-Link also with other IDEs than MPLAB X, which are based on GDB (e.g. emIDE: emide.org/).

Anyhow, we will also add MPLAB X to the list of supported IDEs and will also have a small dedicated MPLAB X page, as available for most other IDEs.

Best regards
    Alex
  • Related to this, I tried using a J-link v8 EDU (latest firmware) with MPLAB X 2.15, but only got an error message about the combination of a MIPS CPU and JTAG not being supported on this hardware. Are there any extra hardware limitations over those mentioned on the PIC32 support info page? The CPU I was trying to connect to was a PIC32MX795F512L, using 4-wire JTAG.
    Images
    • jlink.PNG

7.51 kB, 766×143, viewed 504 times
  • Hi,

I was able to use J-Link v9, software 4.86b, with MPLABX 2.15 and PIC32MX795F512L. However:
    - Download speed is very low compare to ICD3
    - While debugging, the MCU runs at very low speed. Reset and let the PIC32 runs alone then everything is normal.
    - Hit "halt" I got this mesasge "Unable to halt the target device.JLINK_Halt command failed with value -142"
    - Is it possible to have live update watch like in IAR or Keil MDK in the future?
  • Hi,

- Download speed is very low compare to ICD3

We are currently working on a new version of the DLL in which the download speed has been improved (see PIC32 info page which already shows the new values)
    J-Link is more than 2 times faster than the ICD3, on the PIC32MX...

Just to be sure: You are debugging via the 14-pin header, correct?
    Since the RJ11 connector is for 2-wire JTAG (different pins) which is not supported by the PIC32MX795.
    See PIC32 info page for more information.

- Is it possible to have live update watch like in IAR or Keil MDK in the future?

Maybe, but it will not be the same like on for example Cortex-M because the PIC32 does not support reading/writing memory without halting the CPU.

Best regards
    Alex
  • Hi,

Alright, unfortunately, 2-wire ICSP is not usable for debugging and the MX795 does not support 2-wire JTAG debugging.
    What ICD3 does: Downloading a special handler into flash which communicates via a proprietary protocol,
    causing the target application to stop immediately in case no debugger is connected, making it impossible to perform post-mortem debugging of release versions.

Best regards
    Alex