[SOLVED] connecting nRF51822 with jlink and flash

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED] connecting nRF51822 with jlink and flash

Hi,

I own a Nordic nRF51822 Development Kit and I'm trying to connect to the PCA10005 via J-Link LITE Cortex M.

JLinkExe connects to the J-Link Hardware, connected via USB. But it shows me a VTarget of 0.0 V.

What did I miss before starting JLinkExe?
    I already tried to set a device, speed, ...

Shouldn't it work out of the box, when my nRF51822 is connected to the J-Link hardware?

regards,
    nRF51822

+++++++++++++++++++
    here some console output:

$ JLinkExe -device nRF51822 -speed 1000
    SEGGER J-Link Commander V4.84e ('?' for help)
    Compiled Apr 28 2014 20:59:53
    Info: Device "NRF51822_XXAA" selected (257 KB flash, 16 KB RAM).
    DLL version V4.84e, compiled Apr 28 2014 20:59:50
    Firmware: J-Link Lite-Cortex-M V8 compiled Aug 29 2012 15:24:23
    Hardware: V8.00
    S/N: MYSN0000
    Feature(s): GDB
    VTarget = 0.000V
    J-Link>

The post was edited 1 time, last by nRF51822 ().

• Hi,

JLinkExe connects to the J-Link Hardware, connected via USB. But it shows me a VTarget of 0.0 V.

Sounds like your target hardware is not powered.
    Or at least the 3.3V expected at pin 1 on the JTAG/SWD connector on the J-Link LITE Cortex-M cannot be measured.

If your target is powered properly and you selected the device, it should work.
    Selecting the device is a must due to some special behavior of the nRF51 devices.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Alex,

I want to apologize for my late answer and thank you for that hint.
    It was really the missing power supply. I was hoping that the j-link is providing the power supply.

On the other hand, I had some trouble trying to flash the PC1000 (USB powered).

In other forums, I could read about a buggy J-Link version 4.82, which should be fixed in 4.83, but I had no success with 8.84.
    Now I'm using 4.85d and it's working.

Maybe this is helping someone else later here.

Thanks für your help.

regards,
    nRF51822
  • Hi,

I was hoping that the j-link is providing the power supply.

It actually can, but for this, you need to know what you are doing.
    J-Link is capable of providing 5V on pin 19 if power supply via J-Link is enabled (See UM08001 for more information).

Anyhow, good to hear that it is working now.

- Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.