Simultaneous access to target via J-Link GDB Server and J-Link Commander.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Simultaneous access to target via J-Link GDB Server and J-Link Commander.

Hello

I'm working with my target by using GDB server and sometime I need to monitor some target resources (such as EmbeddedICE registers or something other) by using J-Link Commander. Is this operation correct? Commander's output is not conforming with real system state. Of course, in monitoring target is halted.

BR, Eugene.
  • Eugene,

it does not work this way. The first process will modify the ICE registers, so they are temporary registers
    that are not consisten between processes.
    You can still read write ICE registers from a second process, but you should be aware that the first process can modify them at any time as well.
    After all, it is only one CPU ...
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Rolf,

Your reply has almost satisfied me, but I want more explanations.

For example, lets consider next situation:
    1) Target is halted;
    2) GDB is showing, for example, what ARM’s core register r0 is equal to 0xDEADBEAF;
    3) J-link’s “regs” command is printing r0 value as 0x0BADC0DE.

Should I treat “0x0BADC0DE” in r0 as “garbage” having been temporary stayed there by debugger’s interface pluck (i.e while target halted, its resources used by debugger’s interface internals) and that original context (0xDEADBEAF) will be restored before continue of program being debugged?