Error messages using J-Link with IAR-EW on Windows 7

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Error messages using J-Link with IAR-EW on Windows 7

I have been using J-Link with the IAR Embedded Workbench for ARM on a Windows XP PC for years without difficulty. I've transferred to using a WIndows 7 PC and can no longer use it. After selecting Project - Debug from the IAR window, I get the error messages in each of the three attached screenshots (the first one twice). Any help would be appreciated.

• Hi,

I have an idea where the first two errors are coming from.
    The second one should already be fixed and addressed in the next patched release.
    Could you please let me know the version of IAR EWARM you are using?

Btw: I do not think that error 1 & 2 have *anything* to do with switching from XP to Win 7 but more with the fact that the DLL has been updated.

Third screenshot: This is nothing J-Link related. Looks more like that there were problems in passing arguments to IAR EWARM.
    But maybe this is a consequential error because of the other ones, so let's see what happens if they are fixed.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • We are using ver. 4.40 of the IAR EWARM. I realize this is an old version, but it's generally our policy to keep the same version originally used to develop the product. But we could upgrade if necessary. I don't have any problems using ver. 4.40 with J-Link on the XP PC.

I realize the third error message is from the IAR and is probably just a result of the first two from J-Link.
  • Hi,

but it's generally our policy to keep the same version originally used to develop the produ

Makes sense.

Just want to make sure we use the same version for reproduction & verification if the problem is really fixed.

Best regards
    Alex

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hi,

We just released V4.80b in which the problems you reported should be solved.
    Could you please give it a try?

Download-Link: segger.com/jlink-software.html

Best regards
    Alex

• Hi,

Do I see this correctly, you are using a Atmel SAM7A3 as target device?
    We will check if we can reproduce this.

Third error: Let's hope that it vanishes if the second is solved, otherwise it is no longer J-Link related and probably something for IAR instead of SEGGER to investigate.

Best regards
    Alex

• Hi,

We checked this behavior with the following setup:
    • EWARM V4.40.1
    • IAR sample project (AT91SAM7A3-BasicTools)
    • J-Link DLL v4.80b
    • J-Link RDI DLL v4.80b
    • AT91SAM7A3-EK
    So far, we do not see any problems. Everything works just fine (we verified flash and RAM debug via RDI).

Is it possible to send us your project? Maybe a trimmed version of the project so we can check if we are able to
    reproduce the issue? If you do not want to upload this project in this forum, you can also send the project/a link to the project
    via e-mail to segger.com/support/technical-support/ . In this case, please make sure that you also add a link to this forum thread in the e-mail.

Best regards
    Erik

• Yes, my target is Atmel SAM7A3. I was able to use J-Link with the sample project in
    C:\Program Files\IAR Systems\Embedded Workbench 4.0\ARM\examples\Atmel\AT91SAM7A2\AT91SAM7A2-BasicTools\Compil without any error messages.

I realize it may be an issue specific to my project which may not really be a J-Link problem. Does the second error message, which I am still getting, give any clue where to look for the problem? I will send an email with a zip file of the project.
  • Hi,

Just gave the project you sent us a quick try.
    Everything worked fine here.

We tried on a Win7 x64 with J-Link DLL V4.80b.

We needed to change from the IAR flashloader to the SEGGER flashloader, since the IAR flashloader seemed to be somewhat broken in that version of IAR...
    (I remember there were some problems in the past regarding this and it was around this IAR EWARM version number)

Best regards
    Alex

• With V4.80b, and the Segger flash loader, I'm still getting the one J-Link error message "MEM_MAP.c, _LogRange2PhysRange(): Invalid memory map, can not un-alias region 0x00000000 - 0xFFFFFFFF!" So could there be some problem with how the memory map is set up? I realize this may be an issue with something in IAR, but any idea as to the cause of this message from J-Link might help.
  • Hi,

So far we do not have an idea how that message can come up at all.
    From what I am seeing in the source, it is somewhat impossible... except if a *totally messed up* memory map is setup from an external source...

Please understand that in the meantime this is somewhat getting beyond the level of support we provide via the forum (officially there is not even any support given via the forum...).
    One last thing you could do: Create a *full* logfile of the failing session and send it. The we *may* see what is possibly causing this issue.

Easiest way to obtain a logfile:
    Start a session, open the J-Link Control panel (by clicking the J-Link tray icon in the lower right corner), go to the "Settings" tab and select "Override" for the logfile.
    Close the session.
    Start a new one.
    Send the logfile.

Best regards
    Alex

• I have attached the log file. I appreciate all the support you have provided here, and frankly I have by now also probably spent more time looking at this problem than it is worth. If there is not anything obvious from this log file, I will ask our corporate IT if I can keep the old XP PC,which I just confirmed still works fine with J-Link, and if that is not possible, and in the unlikely event I have to make changes to this product requiring debugging with J-Link, I will consider buying one of the newer improved J-Link modules.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Files
    • JLink-log.txt

(184.25 kB, downloaded 1,000 times, last: )
  • Hi Paul,

I think I found the problem...
    Will check if I can reproduce.

What I am wondering about:
    When starting the debug session for the first time, you should see a window asking you to select the device.
    Did you select the SAM7A3 there?

- Alex

• There is no "Flash" tab in the RDI configuration dialog of V4.80/V4.80b...

• Hi,

The "invalid memory map" error has been fixed in V4.80e: segger.com/jlink-software.html

- Alex

• I am no longer getting the "invalid memory map" error, but I can still not emulate in J-Link. I have disabled the IAR flash loader (it won't work at all with it enabled) and have "enable flash programming" checked on the Flash tab of theJ-Link RDI configuration window. I've tried having the "Allow flash download" option here both checked and unchecked with the same result. After selecting Project - Debug in IAR, a small RDI Driver window "Downloading application" appears for a few seconds. I can then select Debug - Go, but my emulation target still has its old program, not the one just built in IAR. I recall that when I had this working on the old PC, after the small RDI driver window appeared, there was a larger window with something like "Loading flash program", which I don't see now. Perhaps there is some option I need to set.
  • Hi,

Could you do me a favor please?
    Go to the folder, where the J-Link RDI DLL is located, you are using in EWARM.
    Now, delete the JLinkRDI.ini file in this directory.

Go to your IAR project folder and check for a "settings" folder there.
    In this folder, there is a *.jlink file. Please also delete this one.

Try again.

Do you still see the problems?
    If yes: Could you please send us your projects "as it is", so we can give it a try again?

We are pretty confident that we are close to have this up and running.
    All J-Link related problems should have been solved with the latest DLL version.

Best regards
    Alex