Error messages using J-Link with IAR-EW on Windows 7

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I don't have a .jlink file in the Settings folder under the source code folder.

The files in this folder are:

EclipseMain.cspy.bat
    EclipseMain.dbgdt
    EclipseMain.dni
    EclipseMain.wsdt

Should I try deleting any of those?
  • Hi,

Sorry, mistake on my side.
    In EWARM, you specify an RDI DLL to be used for debugging.
    At the loaction of this JLinkRDI.dll there should be a Default.jlinksettings
    Delete this file.

Start IAR EWARM
    Make sure that IAR flashloader is disabled:

Start a debug session.
    You should see the following dialog popping up:

Select the SAM7A3

Done.

Attached you will find the project we have tested with, since the latest one you sent us did not compile.

IAR_V440A_SAM7A3.zip

- Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Sorry, still problems.
    I don't have a Default.jlinksettings file in the folder with the dll.
    The contents of C:\Program Files\SEGGER\JLinkARM_V480e are:

<DIR> Doc
    <DIR> ETC
    <DIR> Samples
    <DIR> USBDriver
    JLinkARM.dll
    JLinkRDI.dll
    JLinkConfig.exe
    JLinkDLLUpdater.exe
    JLinkGDBServer.exe
    JLinkGDBServerCL.exe
    JLinkLicenseManager.exe
    JFlashARM.exe
    JLinkRDIConfig.exe
    JLinkRemoteServer.exe
    JLinkRemoteServerCL.exe
    JLinkSTM32.exe
    JLinkSTR91x.exe
    JLinkSWOViewer.exe
    JLinkSWOViewerCL.exe
    JMem.exe
    JTAGLoad.exe
    UNWISE.EXE
    SWOAnalyzer.exe
    JLink.exe
    INSTALL.LOG

When I start up the IAR_V440A_SAM7A3 project, I get the message:

FATAL ERROR
    RDI driver dies not exist:
    C\Program Files (x86)\SEGGER\JLinkARM_480d\JLinkRDI.dll
    Session aborted!

(because there is in fact no such folder).
    The sample project does compile proprly.
  • Hi,

Maybe I should have wrote this but I thought it was pretty clear:
    When I start up the IAR_V440A_SAM7A3 project, I get the message:

Of course you need to make sure that the RDI DLL referenced in the example project, is present on your PC.
    So if you do not have the version we used for testing, installed on your PC, just change the path to the RDI DLL referenced in the project, to a one that exist on your system.
    In your case:

C Source Code

1. C:\Program Files\SEGGER\JLinkARM_V480e\JLinkRDI.dll

Then try to start a debug session with the example project again.
    Does it work?

Best regards
    Alex

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Thank you for letting me know what to change to get the example project to work. I knew it had to be something simple.

When I started the example project, I got the "RDI_SelectDevice" screen you posted earlier. I selected the SAM7A3, the program loaded onto my target and single stepping, breakpoints, etc. appear to be working properly.

When I load my real project again, I don't get any error messages, nor the "RDI_SelectDevice" screen. I can start the debugger, but it doesn't work since the target still seems to have the example code.
  • Hi Pausan,

Alright, so the example project is working properly.
    That's good news, so we are not far away to get your project also running.

Start the session with your project and open the J-Link Control panel.
    How to do this?:
    In the lower right corner, there will be 2 J-Link Icons:
    1 for RDI
    1 for J-Link

Choose the one for J-Link.
    Go to the settings tab, and check two things:

What do they show in your case?
    Note that my screenshot from above is just an example and should not be identical to yours.

Best regards
    Alex

• Actually, my Settings tab is the same in those two things: Settings file is "Not specified" and Override device selection is not checked.
    The entire Settings tab is the same as the screenshot except the Log file has Override checked and a different location.

Also, I checked the General tab and the Device is "Not selected". Should it be SAM7A3?

One more thing, in the corner I had only the J-Link icon, not the RDI one.

The post was edited 2 times, last by pausau ().

• Hi,

Is it possible that you have "J-Link" selected in IAR EWARM and NOT(!!!) RDI?
    Because if you only have the J-Link icon but not the RDI icon, it sounds like this...

Please note that this old version of IAR EWARM (V4.40) neither supports flash download
    via J-Link nor unlimited flash breakpoints via native J-Link support.
    We recommend to use J-Link via RDI here.

Best regards
    Alex

• Sorry, it's still a mystery. I do have J-Link selected (menu Project, Options, category Debugger, tab Setup, Driver dropdown list has RDI, not J-Link / J-Trace.)

I just checked that the debugger still works properly on my old PC with Windows XP, although there are no J-Link icons on the taskbar.
  • Hi,

As already discussed via e-mail through official support channel:
    The fact that the project we provided works fine, also under Windows 7, shows that the J-Link RDI software in combination with IAR EWARM works fine.
    It has to be something in your project that creates problems here...
    As also discussed via e-mail: We see one last option before this goes out of regular J-Link support: Having a look at this with your project, your setup on your machine via TeamViewer.

Best regards
    Alex