GDBServer and TCP/IP Server

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• GDBServer and TCP/IP Server

Hi,

how is to tool supposed to be used? If start GDBServer for ARM and
    afterwards the TCP/IP Server on the same host, I can't connect to
    port 19020. gdb always reports:

,----
    | GNU gdb 6.5.50.20060612-cvs
    | Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    | GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
    | welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
    | Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
    | There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
    | This GDB was configured as "--host=i386-mingw32msvc --target=arm-elf".
    | (gdb) target remote 127.0.0.1:19020
    | Remote debugging using 127.0.0.1:19020
    | Ignoring packet error, continuing...
    `----

Regards,
    Markus
  • Hi Markus,

you can not run both servers on the same machine if they both connect to the same J-Link.
    All you need here is the GDBServer.
    GDB can connect to to the gdbserver on localhost, default port is 2331.

--Mike
  • MikeQ wrote:

you can not run both servers on the same machine if they both connect to the same J-Link.

I know and I can connect to GDBServer directly. However, I'd like to use the TCP/IP Server and can't connect to it...
  • If I get the point you are trying to connect the GDB with the J-Link TCP/IP Server.
    THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE!

The GDB does not understand the J-Link TCP/IP Protocol used by the J-Link TCP/IP Server. Therefore the GDBServer is used, which uses the GDB Protocol.
    For example, the J-Link TCP/IP Protocol is supported by the IAR Embedded Workbench for ARM.

The GDBServer is intended to be used with GDB only.
    The J-Link TCP/IP Server can be used with any debugger that supports the J-Link TCP/IP Protocol but will definitive not work with GDB!

GDB supports only GDB protocol!

If I misunderstand what you are trying to do please do some further explanation for us to understand what you are trying to do.

--Xcelsior