embOSView.exe

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• embOSView.exe

Hello,

We are planning to use embOS in our project. To get started with, I just downloaded the "embOS trial version for cortex M0/ M3/ M4 and IAR compiler". This package includes embOSView.exe (embOSView V3.82p). When I start embOSView and click Setup, it just hangs and stops responding (but the Setup window actually opens). After that I am not able to click on any of the items, tabs or change any of the values. Could you please help me to figure out the reason for this? My system OS is Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Version 2002.
  • Hello,

we are not aware of any problems with embOSView.
    I am also working with the same Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 and I am not able to reproduce the problem.

Could you please try it again on another PC?

Best regards,
    Til
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hello Til,

Thanks for your advice. Yes, I tried with some other system, and it works fine. But I don't really understand why it doesn't work with my system alone. Is there any configuration settings that I need to change in my computer to make it work? Could you please help me to sort out this problem?

I wrote a simple program for creating 2 tasks given in the examples. I am facing some other problems too. I am using IAR embedded workbench for ARM 6.21.3 and J-Link ARM version 8.0 on STM3240G-EVAL board (STM32F4xx). When I try to debug the program, the 2 tasks are getting created, and when the code reaches to OS_Start(), it goes to an infinite while loop present in RTOSVect.c.

/*********************************************************************
    * _IllegalException()
    * Is called from any exception handler which is not implemeted
    * by the application (not overwriiten by user).
    * We implemented and endless loop, so the programm stops when any
    * of the exceptions is called.
    * Using a debugger and setting a breakpoint here allows to analyze
    * which exception / interrupt was called.
    * Normally, the CPU should not arrive here.
    */
    static void _IllegalException(void) {
    //
    // In case we received a hard fault because
    // of a breakpoint instruction, we return.
    // This may happen with the IAR workbench when semihosting is used
    //
    if (NVIC_HFSR & 1uL << 31) {
    NVIC_HFSR |= (1uL << 31);
    return;
    }
    while(1);
    }

If I understand correctly, I need to change in embOSView, in the Setup->Command->Type to J-Link from UART right? So, I don't really know, whether my debugger going to the infinite while loop has any connection with this. Are they the same problems or 2 different problems? When I set a breakpoint in the infinite while loop, it shows me the following message.

"Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:58:41: Breakpoint hit: Code @ RTOSVect.c:117.3, type: default (auto)"

Could you please help me out to figure where things go wrong?

Thanks.
  • Hi,

Is there any configuration settings that I need to change in my computer to make it work?

No, there is nothing you have to change. Does your PC have any serial connectors? Which COM Ports are listed in Windows device manager?

We are working on a new embOS Cortex M IAR V6 release which has support for Cortex M4F with floating point and it includes start projects for STM32F4 Discovery evalboard and STM32F40G-Eval evalboard. Please use this new embOS version for your test. An embOS trial version will be available at our website.

If I understand correctly, I need to change in embOSView, in the Setup->Command->Type to J-Link from UART right?

Yes, please change for Cortex M3 in embOSView in Setup -> Communication "UART" to "J-Link Cortex M3 (memory access)".
    This changes the communication method from Uart to memory access via J-Link.
    Please also check in the same dialog the target interface settings.
    When you run embOSView and IAR at the same time, the JTAG/SWD and speed settings have to be the same.

Best regards,
    Til

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• Hello Til,

My device manager shows Bluetooth communications port (COM5) (C:\WINNT\system32\DRIVERS\btport.sys), Communications port (COM1) (C:\WINNT\system32\DRIVERS\serenum.sys, C:\WINNT\system32\DRIVERS\serial.sys) and Printer port. So, what should be the problem with embOSView?

When the embOS trial version for Cortex M4F will be available at your website?

Any idea/advice why my program ends in the indefinite while loop?

Thanks.
  • Hello,

when embOSView starts for the first time UART is selected and embOSView checks which COM ports are available.
    But there should be no problem with your COM devices.

The embOS Cortex M IAR V6 release with Cortex M4F floating point support will be available in the next days on our website.
    Please contact us per email if you like to get it earlier.

Best regards,
    Til