Could not stop cortex-M device

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Could not stop cortex-M device

I get the 'could not stop cortex-M device' message when trying to download or debug my application with Keil/J-Link/JTAG. I don't even know where to look for solving this problem. There is a possibility that the PCB design is at fault. However I wasn't able to find any information on how to correctly wire the JTAG port of my LPC1754. Do I need pull-ups/downs, what values, etc.
    So my questions is:
    1. Is there app notes or specification or reference design on how to actually wire and connect the JTAG port to be used by J-link
    2. Did anybody else ever had this 'can't stop cpu' issue and found a way to resolve it.
    I seem to be lacking serious documentation. I don't even know what the difference is between all those reset modes offered by J-link (HW reset, vector reset, sysreqreset). Where is all that documented?
    I'd appreciate any help.
  • Soooo. It turns out the problem was LPC17xx pin P2.10, which cannot be low during reset, or the boot-loader is started instead of user code. Easy to miss in the NXP documentation.
    HOWEVER. Now everything works fine when using a cheap $19 JTAG probe from Cooxox.
    However it still doesn't work when using the $300 j-link box (can't stop CPU message still there). But I'm sure it's only one of those many 100 options and switches somewhere burried in the j-link software.
  • Hi,

We are not aware of any problems with the LPC1754. We have a lot of customers
    out there who are using LPC17xxx devices without any problems.

As a basic test: Did you install our software and documentation package for J-Link?
    segger.com/download_jlink.html

If yes, could you please start J-Link Commander (a small command line utility which can be used to verify basic functionality of J-Link & target interaction)
    and check if basic commands like "g" (go), "h" (halt) and "r" (reset) work without any problems?

Best regards
    Ales
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Ok, I did some more playing around with it. J-link works fine when using JTAG frequencies > 1MHz. It doesn't like frequencies < 1MHz. With slower frequencies it can't communicate reliably, sometimes not even recognizing the CPU. (Same behaviour in J-Link commander, too).
    Well, at least I got something to work with now. I have to suspect that somethings' not right with my PCB. Especially I don't have any pull-up/dn installed on any of the JTAG lines. Maybe that's the problem. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything regarding JTAG in the NXP documentation. Not sure if the pull-up/dn on JTAG ports are a requirement or only a recommendation. If I find out I'll post it. :P