Cannot flash Cortex-M3 (Energy Micro EFM32) using JLinkExe on Linux

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Cannot flash Cortex-M3 (Energy Micro EFM32) using JLinkExe on Linux

Hi, I'm using an Cortex-M3-based chip called EFM32G from Energy Micro, with a an Energy Micro Dev Kit as my J-Link board. These boards are supposed to be fully licensed to use with authentic J-Link software, and I have a valid Energy Micro serial number.

It works great under Windows, using Energy Micro's provided Simplicity Studio software. I assume that means my serial number is OK. However, when I use JLinkExe under Linux, I can read the flash and do other useful things, but not write to it (and testwspeed command also fails).

JLinkExe does report my hardware's serial number correctly.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Does anyone else have EFM32 experience under Linux?
  • Hi,

The testwspeed command is only designed for checking the write speed into RAM.

Did you perform the necessary steps to enable flash download via J-Link Commander?
    For example see the following thread what needs to be done to enable flash download into the internal flash of a supported microcontroller:
    segger2.com/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=837

For a list of supported devices and the names which can be selected via the "exec device =" command, please have a look at:
    segger.com/cms/supported-devices.html

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Very helpful, thanks. That works like a charm.

Why is the 'exec' command not listed in the help (when I enter "?" at the J-Link prompt)? It seems like an essential command like this should appear there.

Also, is there any way to get a list of supported devices from the J-Link prompt? Eg by typing "exec device" without specifying a device? I know I can easily find it online, but it seems like it would be a useful feature to have in the J-Link application, right where you need it.

Thanks again.

- Bryan
  • Hi Bryan,

Why is the 'exec' command not listed in the help (when I enter "?" at the J-Link prompt)? It seems like an essential command like this should appear there.

The exec device command itself is not an essential one, more an additional feature to activate flash programming via J-Link Commander,
    but I will check if it will be added to the list of commands.

Also, is there any way to get a list of supported devices from the J-Link prompt?

Currently not. I will check what can be done.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Thanks, Alex.

On Linux, the exec command is pretty essential, because it's the only way to flash my mcu from Linux using J-Link software -- there's no point in any of it if I can't write to the flash.

Appreciate your help! Let me know if you can convince the developers on your end.

- Bryan