[SOLVED]License required for J-Flash ARM with SAM-ICE?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED]License required for J-Flash ARM with SAM-ICE?

Hi there, I am using an Atmel SAM-ICE with IAR Kickstart edition. I can download to Flash using the IAR IDE, but not with the J-Link ARM program. It says that a license is required. I thought that no license is required if I am using the SAM-ICE JTAG? Is there some additional setup I need to do?

Regards

Edit: I am using an Atmel AT91SAM7S64 device.

I found this comment which appears to state that no license is required with SAM-ICE for Atmel parts, forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?p=87067 by "RolfSegger"
    Flash download works (does not need an extra license) with the SEGGER J-Link software on all supported devices. Supported devices are
    most popular ARM-based microcontrollers, so all popular
    ATMEL AT91 devices (and many other of course) are supported.
    Again, there is no extra license required; the only thing you need is a
    half-way recent version of the software.
    In case of doubt, donwload it from segger.com/cms/jlink-software.html
    Flash download is free (not requiring a license) for J-Links and OEM versions of J-Link, such as SAM-ICE. An other option with J-Link and SAM-ICE is always to use OpenOCD with it.
    I'm not sure if "RolfSegger" is really from Segger or just a user.

The post was edited 1 time, last by bobc ().

• Hi,

for clarification:
    You do not need a separate license for SAM-ICE + Atmel device when using the flash download capability of J-Link.
    This means download into internal flash memory via J-Link Commander, or directly from a debugger (GDB, IAR EWARM, Keil MDK, ...) can be performed without the need of a additional license.

I can download to Flash using the IAR IDE, but not with the J-Link ARM program.

I think you mean J-Flash, correct?
    The J-Flash software is a separate software tool from SEGGER which requires an extra license.
    This is not covered by the licenses which come with SAM-ICE.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply. I can run the Jlink Commander and it tells me "Found 1 JTAG device, Total IRLen = 4:
    #0 Id: 0x3F0F0F0F, IRLen: 04, IRPrint: 0x1, ARM7TDMI Core" among others things. I am then stuck.

I have been unable to deduce how to get the J-Link command line to perform a Flash download from reading the manuals. The closest I can see is in document UM08001_JLinkARM.pdf section 6.5.3, which describes an example for external flash. I can't find anything for internal Flash. Is there an example anywhere?

Regards

ETA: Aha! I was missing a exec device command. So now I have a script which reads
    rsettype 4
    exec device AT91SAM7s64
    loadbin "MyProg.bin",0x100000
    r
    g
    exit
    which I call with "jlink prog_script.txt"

and it seems to work fine.

The post was edited 1 time, last by bobc ().

• So, is it enough to have a J-link (IAR OEM), and free version of JLinkExe or JLinkGDBServer to flash the memory, or I must have a license to do it ?

PS. When will Hitex 4350 external flash be supported? Any plans?