J-Link EDU software freezes and locks J-Link, Also freezes Keil

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• J-Link EDU software freezes and locks J-Link, Also freezes Keil

Ok so I have been having a difficult time getting my J-Link to play nicely with my STM32F103RB board and have found out that when one of the J-Link programs (eg, J-Mem) crash the J-Link is stuck in a mode that none of the tools can access.

For example I loaded up the GDB server and clicked on show serial number. The GDP server app froze and I had to force close it. I then tried to flash my hex through Keil and then Keil froze. J-Link Commander is unable to access the J-Link so I unpluged it from my USB and waited for any residual caps to drain. I force closed Keil and unplugged the J-Link from my board and then plug the J-Link into a different USB port and I still can not access the device. The only way to solve the problem is to restart windows with the J-Link plugged in.

This has happened to me whenever Keil crashes while in debug mode and I am forced to re-start windows which is very annoying.

Speaking of Keil in the c:/Keil/ARM/SEGGER directory they have the jlink.exe and jlinkarm.dll that they provide and its annoying as it asks you to agree to the EDU terms and then select which USB device to use three times and then agree to the EDU terms twice again. I replaced those two files with the latest ones I downloaded off the Segger J_Link site and now it only asks me to agree to the EDU terms as it should.

Is their a way to reset my J-Link when it is stuck in a mode that does not require me to restart windows? Other than this annoyance the J-Link is a fantastic device, thanks for providing it on a students budget!
  • So I managed to fix all the issues I was having by doing this:

copy these files from c:\program files\segger\version to c:\keil\arm\segger:
    JLink.exe v4.20c
    JLinkARM.dll v4.20n

I found out that if I used JLink.exe v4.20c Keil could no longer detect any chains while in SWD mode even though if I ran the JLink Commander by hand I could run and halt the device.

I then ran the JLink Commander from the v4.20p beta package which asked me to upgrade the firmware. I agreed to the upgrade and then went back to using v4.20n and now JMem and all applications work properly and I have not been able to crash the programs freeze the JLink ever since.