nxp lpc2124 Unable to halt ARM core

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• nxp lpc2124 Unable to halt ARM core

Hi
    When I try to work a JLINK +nxp lpc2124, I got this error...
    the PCB Board is designed by someone others...
    it can not work because of the fault.

the infomation is shown below:

SEGGER J-Link Commander V4.14f ('?' for help)
    Compiled Jul 5 2010 14:21:11
    DLL version V4.14f, compiled Jul 5 2010 14:21:00
    Firmware: J-Link compiled Jul 30 2008 11:24:37 ARM Rev.5
    Hardware: V5.90
    S/N : 28010319
    Feature(s) : RDI, FlashDL, FlashBP, JFlash, GDBFull
    Info: TotalIRLen = 4, IRPrint = 0x01
    VTarget = 3.170V
    Found 1 JTAG device, Total IRLen = 4:
    #0 Id: 0x4F1F0F0F, IRLen: 04, IRPrint: 0x1, ARM7TDMI-S Core
    Found ARM with core Id 0x4F1F0F0F (ARM7)
    ETM V1.2: 1 pairs addr.comp, 0 data comp, 4 MM decs, 1 counters
    RTCK reaction time is approx. 252ns
    Using adaptive clocking instead of fixed JTAG speed.
    J-Link>r
    Reset delay: 0 ms
    Reset type NORMAL: Using RESET pin, halting CPU after Reset
    Info: TotalIRLen = 4, IRPrint = 0x01

WARNING: RESET (pin 15) high, but should be low. Please check target hardware.
    Info: Core does not stop after Reset, setting WP to stop it.
    Info: Failed to halt CPU core after Reset (BP@0), using default reset strategy.
    Info: Resetting target using RESET pin

Info: Halting CPU core
    Info: Using DBGRQ to halt CPU
    Info: Resetting TRST in order to halt CPU
    Info: Resetting target using RESET pin

Info: Halting CPU core
    Info: Using DBGRQ to halt CPU
    Info: Resetting TRST in order to halt CPU

****** Error: Unable to halt ARM core
    J-Link>

I can not halt or reset the MCU ,so i can not download the Application~~~

pls help me~

best regards
  • Hi,

it seems that the reset pin of the JTAG connector is not connected to the reset pin
    of the CPU or short-circuited with another pin, since J-Link is unable to pull it low in order to reset the CPU.

On most ARM7/9 targets, without having nRESET connected to J-Link, it is not possible to perform a reset of the CPU
    (on some MCUs like the AT91SAM7 this can be done via a special function register)

You should be able to download your application, without performing a reset and simply halting the CPU.
    If always a reset is performed by the IDE you are using, you can select reset type 3 "no reset".

- Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • SEGGER - Alex wrote:

Hi,

it seems that the reset pin of the JTAG connector is not connected to the reset pin
    of the CPU or short-circuited with another pin, since J-Link is unable to pull it low in order to reset the CPU.

On most ARM7/9 targets, without having nRESET connected to J-Link, it is not possible to perform a reset of the CPU
    (on some MCUs like the AT91SAM7 this can be done via a special function register)

You should be able to download your application, without performing a reset and simply halting the CPU.
    If always a reset is performed by the IDE you are using, you can select reset type 3 "no reset".

- Alex
    I have checked it.The JTAG connector is connected to the reset pin
    of the CPU and no short-circuited with another pin.

i am using IAR Embedded Workbench to download the Application,But It said "unabled to halt arm core"

Thanks~
  • zhangutt wrote:

SEGGER - Alex wrote:

Hi,

- Alex
    I have checked it.The JTAG connector is connected to the reset pin
    of the CPU and no short-circuited with another pin.

i am using IAR Embedded Workbench to download the Application,But It said "unabled to halt arm core"

Thanks~
    Perhaps,the reset pin is also connected to a reset chip:STM811. is that wrong?
  • Hi,

could you please check if the same J-Link works with an appropriate eval board?
    If yes, could you please check you hardware against the eval board, for differences (especially regarding reset)?

Best regards
    Alex

Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

• SEGGER - Alex wrote:

Hi,

could you please check if the same J-Link works with an appropriate eval board?
    If yes, could you please check you hardware against the eval board, for differences (especially regarding reset)?

Best regards
    Alex

Hi!

the J-link is ok! it can work with my other PCB board.

i just want to know how can i found the problem.

i can check the reset pin changed when i reset the mcu with j-link command.

i run j-flash.it can not connected the MCU the same reason even i set it just halt.

thanks
  • In my case, it was the firmware of the board

I was seeing the same issue described in this thread.

In the past, I could connect with no issues to my board, but then, after a firmware upgrade, I started getting the errors described above.

It turned out that my board had multiple debug modes. Originally , the debug mode was such, that the MCU was connected to the segger, but in other modes, the MCU was not connected to the segger, and the debug control was supposed to come in from external pins. The firmware upgrade changed the setting. I had to use the manufacturer's tool to set it back to what it was before, and now things are back to normal.

Basically this other post helped me: WARNING: RESET (pin 15) high, but should be low
  • Hi,

What target CPU / board are you using? I am not sure if I understand you correctly as the behavior described in this thread is not related to the behavior described in the thread "WARNING: RESET (pin 15) high, but should be low".
    I guess you are referring to the different CPU modes (debug in / out / etc...) of EFM32 controllers, correct?

- Erik