SAM-ICE for ARM9 giving error

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• SAM-ICE for ARM9 giving error

Hi,

I have 3 SAM-ICE USB JTAG debuggers and I use them to program AT91SAM9261. Out of these three, two are NOT working.

1) One displays dialog as "TCK (pin 9) low, but should be high. Please check target hardware". When I select "OK", next message comes as "ERROR: Bad JTAG communication: Write to IR: Expected 0x1, got 0x7 (TAP Command : 2) @ Off 0x5"

2) Another one too gives the error only as "ERROR: Bad JTAG communication: Write to IR: Expected 0x1, got 0x7 (TAP Command : 2) @ Off 0x5"

But when I use third one, I am able to program the same board, same project without any change. I am using IAR for ARM9 and the version is 5.0

I am wasting a lot of time. Please help.

Thanks,

Alok
  • Hi Alok,

Do all three SAM-ICE have the same hardware version?
    Do all three SAM-ICE have the same firmware version?
    Do you use the same software version with all three SAM-ICE?
    Which software version do you use?

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Hi Alex,

The one which is working now is h/w version 5.4 and the ones not working are 5.2. I upgraded the firmware too recently for all. But the strange thing is the two units which are not working now had been "working" earlier.

I sometimes see the same problem ""ERROR: Bad JTAG communication: Write to IR: Expected 0x1, got 0x7 (TAP Command : 2) @ Off 0x5" with the "good one" too but after trying to download for 4-5 times, the download works.

Please email me on alok.trivedi@honeywell.com if you need more clarity.

Thanks,

Alok
  • Hi Alok,

regarding the bad JTAG communication problem:
    Are you using fixed JTAG speed or adaptive clocking?
    Please note that after power-on, the Atmel SAM9
    devices run with the internal RC oscillator (32 KHz) as CPU clock.

The maximum JTAG speed which can be used on -S cores (such as ARM926EJ-S)
    is 1/6 - 1/8 of the core speed.
    Adaptive clocking works for every core speed.

Best regards
    Alex
    Please read the forum rules before posting.

Keep in mind, this is *not* a support forum.
    Our engineers will try to answer your questions between their projects if possible but this can be delayed by longer periods of time.
    Should you be entitled to support you can contact us via our support system: segger.com/ticket/

Or you can contact us via e-mail.
  • Alex,

I already tried all this i.e. setting the JTAG speed but nothing works. Please note that I mentioned clearly that two SAM ICEs don't work but one with same settings (each and everything is same) works.

I need a solution immediately as if the one I am working with too goes bad then I would have big trouble.

Thanks

Alok